Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'm a sucker for a good lie

This weekend was a Rockstar weekend for me.  Let's start with Friday night, shall we?

I had been planning on enjoying a lovely dinner with one of my ex-roomies.  We discovered a place last year on Clarke by the name of The Duke of Perth.  I enjoy this place because they have unlimited fish and chips for $10 on Wednesdays and Fridays.   Plus, they also have a wonderful selection of hard ciders...not to mention an extensive supply of Scotch.  Well, instead of having dinner only, we had a few (read: 7) drinks together.  

I should inform you that I had a 10 mile run scheduled for the next day.  As soon as I woke up, all I could do was try to think sober thoughts.  I really needed this run, especially since I missed the prior week's run due to fun with travelling.  So, I got up, got dressed, grabbed my shot bloks and a bottle of gatorade, and then said a little prayer.  Actually, the run ended up going fairly well.  I felt a little weak at first, but was able to finish strong!  

I love to run.  I'm very excited to train with CES for the summer and then run the Chicago marathon in October.  I love the sense of hope attached to it...completing a marathon, whether in 3 hours or in 6 hours, is an experience that changes you forever.

Saturday night, I hung out with a guy who paces for CES (we will call him PB) and a mutual friend (we will call him JF) and then one of their oldest friends.  I must say, it was a lovely evening, chilling with the boys.  The friend from Denver who came for a visit was cool too.  It was one of those low-key evenings you should have every once in a while.  

And today, I was able to watch another talented former roommate perform in a cabaret at Bailiwick.  It was called "Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk" and featured the music of Rufus Wainwright.  My two roommates, a couple, bonded initially over a mutual love of Wainwright's music, so it was nice to watch her sing his songs...like she was singing to him.  Her voice is extraordinary, and I much prefer her singing his songs to Wainwright himself.  Interesting, no?

As another weekend draws to a close, I am reminded that I have a lot of work to do...on myself, my craft, and my job.  I think I need another glass of wine.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Rufus Wainwright is a good songwriter, but his singing ability is excruciatingly overrated.

Working Girl Two said...

i agree with angela. i love rufus's song, but don't love his voice.

i'll have to try that fish and chips place. i will be in chicago this weekend! woohoo!