Thursday, May 20, 2010

200 Miles FML

Well, it is official. I am signed up and scheduled to run the 200 mile Madison to Chicago relay with 12 of my closest running friends. Well, nine of my closest running friends. A couple had to drop out at the last minute, so in order to keep the prices and my mileage low, we recruited two hot firemen and another chick. With the exception of me, this will be the most attractive team ever. Pictures to follow, of course.

I am, of course, incredibly nervous. I must have been blind drunk when I agreed to be a part of this considering the farthest that I've run so far is just over five miles. Even though this is a relay, I'll probably be running at least 16 miles. Some of those miles will be at night, which is good for me since I think it will be cooler then. But then, what if I'm so much slower than the other runners and am by myself the whole time. What if I get lost? What if I have stomach issues. We all know how much I luuuuuurve porto-potties.

But seriously, what if I hurt myself? What if I re-injure myself? I got the official discharge from physical therapy on Tuesday, and while I'm feeling well, I also feel "twinges". Twinges go away eventually, and it is nothing like the pain I was in before, but still...I'm fearful of hurting myself again. I'm afraid of having to drop major money on a few more months of physical therapy when I'm desperately trying to save every penny for grad school.

I know it seems kind of lame, but I think I am going to run/walk this one. It is not worth hurting myself over, and making the leap from 5 ish miles to 16 ish miles is a big one.

5 comments:

C said...

Breathe, child!

This race sounds like a load of fun, but I understand your hesitancy. How many times will you be running and what distances? I think if you race conservatively and do some stretching and PT stuff between your runs, you'll be all right. This is all in fun, so it's cool. Just enjoy yourself. :)

Aron said...

yessss you are going to have SO much fun i promise!! yes its exhausting and you will never want to see a porta potty again, but its all worth it. you bond so much as a team and really have the experience of a lifetime!

Psyche said...

OK, went to the website. Looks CRAZY FUN.

Do it! Do not sweat it, enjoy the experience and be mindful of what you can and cannot do.

You will be fine. You will be so fine I'll have to start referring to you as Super Fine and Foxy Cleopatra:)

p.s. you know you're over-thinking something when your validation word is "neroces"!!

Felice Devine said...

So cool! You'll have a blast, I'm sure. I enjoy relays but have never run an overnight one and I really want to.

Take it slow and easy. Just have fun!

runner26 said...

sounds like it will be a fun time!! relays are the best! just take it easy, have fun with it, and enjoy yourself!!