After yesterdays's speed work in the park with Mica (who rescued a wiggly puppy), I was busy being a Fashionista. Speed work went alright, except I couldn't get Joanie Garmin to work properly, so I don't know how fast I was actually running. I was trying to run half-mile intervals at 5K pace with a quarter mile recovery jog in between, and a warm-up and cool-down. I don't have the actual time for my splits, so this is what each set looked like with the interval and the jog/walk (I got a cramp on my second set):
Warm-up: 1 mile @ 10:45
Mile 2: 9:33
Mile 3: 10:38
Mile 4: 10:00
Mile .6: 11:56
I swear I was speedy in there somewhere. I'm just not exactly sure where. Now that the weather is getting better *knocks on wood* speed work can be done outside, so I really need to get used to setting the work out on my Garmin before the run, as opposed to when I'm standing outside in the wind shivering.
Today was supposed to be a marathon pace run of anywhere between 5 and 7 miles. I decided 6 sounded good, but I could either stop early or keep going, depending upon how I was feeling. Options are good, I tells ya. Well, judging by my splits, I still have a lot to learn about maintaining my pace.
Mile 1: 9:58
Mile 2: 9:53
Mile 3: 10:13 FAIL
Mile 4: 9:52
Mile 5: 9:53
Mile 6: 9:57
Mile 0.07: 9:54
Please note that none of those splits are at 10:00...they are somewhere in the neighborhood of that pace, which is good, I suppose. I think they are a little on the fast side because it was so windy out today. I just kept feeling that I needed to keep pushing or I would slow down without realizing it. So I pushed harder with each sustained gust. But still...I really need to work on my MP runs since they will allegedly be the pace at which I will run my marathon this year. But then again, I'm not setting a time goal, so I shouldn't really care, right? Right.
1 comment:
I think you splits are very good, you'll have rough patches and external conditions to deal with. You are doing what you need to do!!
Post a Comment