Monday, March 7, 2011

New Shoe Mondays

Hello, Recovery Monday...have you met New Shoe Monday? No? Well, let me introduce the two of you. Recovery Monday is relatively new to my running scene. Normally, I don't run the day after a long run. However, the Hansons plan has me running most of the week. Today's run was supposed to be 6 miles. Something nice and slow was what I had on my mind.

Perfect for breaking in some new shoes.
Hello, Lovah

You may recall that I did some internet shopping last month and bought new running shoes, just so I would be ready when my current pair finally wore out. Actually, I wasn't sure when that would happen, since I did a fairly terrible job during the later half of last semester in keeping track of my mileage. I had to estimate that I was running about 3 to 4 miles per day, 3 to 4 times per week. Occasionally, I ran more and/or less than that, but like I said, I wasn't exactly excited about writing down my slow progress.

In January, I started training for the Cleveland marathon around MLK Jr. Day. So I looked at my log book, saw that there was about a 3.5 month gap in my records, and went from there. I'm fairly certain that I'm well over 300 miles in my current pair of shoes. Thus, today was the day that I was going to start using the new shoes. Again, I'm lucky it's a cutback week.

Amidst my piles of research. *Sigh*


It definitely felt strange to run in the new guys. I couldn't really tell if it was because my legs were feeling so heavy, or if it was due to the new shoes. I ran to Mica's place and we did about 4 miles together. I then ran home and added my new Mizuno Wave Inspire 7's to the growing pile of shoes near my door.
Boots and trainers, that's how a grad student rolls


Oh, and here are the splits. Was this really a recovery run? I'm going to go with maybe? Maybe.
Mile 1 - 10:19
Mile 2 - 10:03
Mile 3 - 9:54
Mile 4 - 9:44
Mile 5 - 9:53
Mile 6 - 9:44
Mile 0.02 - 9:27

4 comments:

Felice Devine said...

New shoe Monday...I need to get on that.

Nice splits for your recovery!

Mica said...

I swear I aimed for a recovery pace. I guess our legs will do what they want...

I always hate how stiff the sockliner feels in my new running shoes.Time to mash that sucker down!

Nitmos said...

Overall, declining splits. Very nice!

Aron said...

ahhh I love new shoes! NICE job on the run too!