Well, I didn't exactly make it to 36 minutes. More like, 33 minutes. But I ran the second half of my run about 20 seconds per mile faster than the first half. Here's why...
Remember the girl who became a little competitive when someone would see her approach, then speed up so she could pass them? But she did? Remember the girl who would become obscenely infuriated when someone would pass her, slow down to a walk, then try to pass her again? Oh yes, she is back.
Here is what happened: I made it to just before the North Avenue bridge and was feeling slightly beat, so I decided that, at 17:30 minutes, I should turn around. This would bring me to about 35 minutes, depending on when I stopped. Well, as I stretched out my hamstrings, I noticed two girl coming from the same direction I'd just come from. They looked at me, turned around, and started to walk. I ignored them until it was time for me to begin the short trek home. As soon as I got to them, they furtively glanced behind themselves at me and started to run.
Oh. Hell. No.
With a heavy sigh, I picked up the pace and passed them. It was only at this point that I noticed the voice of one of the girls. She sounded like she was 10 years old. And a nasally ten year old at that. I needed to go. And go I did. When I checked Joanie Garmin to see what pace I was running, I was a little shocked to see that I'd dropped from a 10:10 average pace to a 9:48 average pace.
And yet, the annoying voices continued behind me. But man, I made to the Roscoe tunnel! Needless to say, a good foam-rolling session was in order when I got back to my apartment.
5 comments:
Nice that you are up to this length of running now with the speed at the end.
Sometimes on my easy days when the trails are busy I play a game where I will try NOT to pass anyone for the whole run. I generally do anyway, but this mindset is helpful. I tend to chase as well.
You really ARE back in full form, aren't you? I would not want to race against you!
Thanks for the joke - it was awesome!!
Have a great weekend!
Ha!!!
Nice job on the run!
whatever it takes, right?? nice job ;)
Way to whip some pre-teen ass! That's showing them who's boss! That and staying up past 10 o'clock.
Post a Comment