I'm trying not to act like it's the end of the world right now. But that's hard to do. I do not have the money to invest in a gym membership right now, but without running, there's no way I can do cardio. I don't have a bike, and even if I did, it's Winter and the streets and sidewalks are a mess. I had a great plan for the new year, which included signing up for spring training with CES, as I have for the past three years. I was going to do the Shamrock Shuffle in March, a trail run 10K in April, another 5K in Wrigley at the end of April, and then I was going to break two hours at the Palos Heights half-marathon in May.
Now it appears that I won't be able to do anything until May. And I surely won't be breaking two hours. And I know these aren't big things. There will always be 5K's and 10K's and like for me to do. It's important that I heal now and become stronger.
But it has been over two months! When am I going to be better? When will I be able to run for longer than 15 minutes and not have to stop and limp home? Seriously! I panicky about eating these days for fear that I'll put on 15 pounds or more and be back to barely being able to run. I'm proud of the progress I've made as a runner and was really excited to hopefully be taking more big steps, so to speak. Now it's like I've taken so many steps backwards that I'm starting at zero. Again!
So, thanks for the kind words again. I'll try to think of some clever posts about what's going on in my physical therapy. There are a few cute guys there. And I've become even closer to my foam roller and the Stick. And I'm catching up on all of your blogs! It'll take a little while, and we've been so busy at work that I can't take the time to read your stuff there. This will most likely continue into March, when we have a conference to go to in Portland. I'm looking forward to Portland, as I've heard it's a great city to be a runner.
That is, if I'll be able to run there.
5 comments:
Chin up! There's always speed walking. Those folks can go mighty fast. ;)
hang in there! injuries happen and they are part of being a runner. you're doing all the right things. just give it some time and you'll be back on the roads sooner than you think! *hugs*
I once had to stop running for 3 months and I thought I would shrivel up and die. But I didn't. I became a super push-upper, sit-upper and lunger.
Keep taking care of yourself!
So so sorry to hear you are injured and not able to run! I have had my head up my ass for the last 3 months and have lost touch with all my bloggy peeps.
My wishes for you and physical therapy:
1. speedy recovery
2. lots of amusing anecdotes
3.hot guys in compromising positions to watch!
Hang in there!
Chin up, kiddo! Just think--all the PT and extra care now will make you an even better runner down the line. It's just gonna take a bit longer. Take care of yourself.
Post a Comment