Yes, that's right, I am sitting on a tennis ball at work as I type this. I've always been a fan of tennis ball therapy, even back in my dancing days. So I figured, why not tennis ball-it at work? You don't mind, Work, do ya? DO YA?!?!
The reason I am sitting on a tennis ball is to loosen up my glutes. Not hatch the tennis ball, thanks. My butt has been hurting, big time. And before you ask, no, it is not the result of a night out in Boystown. Get your mind out of the gutter. No, this is actually due to the new and improved wall slides that Dr. Balu has me doing.
On another note, the weather has been "nice" so I'm hoping to go on another short, building-up-my-base 20 minute-ish run on Saturday.
On yet another note, registration for the Chicago Marathon has surpassed 30K already. I'm pretty sure this is going to be my fall marathon this year, since I need to keep it cheap. But I can't sign up until next weekend, again due to money. I know you're thinking, "she must be crazy...there's no WAY it'll sell out in a week..." Oh friends, I wish I knew this were true.
On top of that note, I have a question for those of you more experienced runners out there. Does anyone know of a plan for me to A) Build up my base safely and efficiently so I can start marathon training in May/June and B) Tweak my marathon training plan for that very reason. I'm going to be training mostly solo this time around, due to money and events that will be occurring in August (more on that a bit later). Thanks in advance :)
7 comments:
Well, the general rule of thumb is increase by no more than 10 percent each week. If you're worried that might be too much, too soon, then you could do 5 percent or 7.11324 percent. There's plenty of time to up the mileage, so no need to rush it. Cheers and good luck getting into Chicago before you're shut out.
Take extra rest days.
Once you get training, do more quality work, especially within your long runs, not each time but maybe every other long effort. Concentrate on goal pace and long tempo running.
Take extra rest days.
How about running alternate days to begin with? That worked for me when I was building my base after injury. Good luck getting into the Chicago marathon!
Now, let me go sit on my tennis ball.
re: base building... i would take where you are at now, then build 10% until you reach where your marathon training plan will start (if mine starts at 40 mpw, i like to have base building up to ~40 mpw before hand). i also typically just keep those runs as "just running" runs and avoid speedwork, etc, esp when you are coming off of injury.
I'm with you on tennis ball (or baseball)therapy- but on my calves. I tried the tennis ball on the piriformis, but the ball disappeared in my ass fat, and I became severely depressed over it.
Everyone seems right on target here with their advice. Build slowly, take extra days, quality v. quantity. The base building should be straightforward, just don't rush it. Where it gets tricky is fine-tuning a marathon plan for your unique needs. I'm currently doing that, and finding it to be a trial and error process.
One thought- McMillan's running site has a six-part approach to training that is very helpful to read (mcmillanrunning.com).
Have a good weekend. I have to go throw out all my deflated tennis balls now...
No.way. The verification word is POOPA!!!!Excellent!!!
Yay tennis balls!
You have plenty of time to build up for fall. I started training for my marathon (Oct,long time ago) in June, after only running 10-15 miles per week. I wish I had advice for you.
Everyone else has covered the good advice so I'll just stick with saying...
I love the title of this post. Please post a pic of the hatchlings when they arrive. :)
Post a Comment