Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Video Gait Analysis, Part I

Subtitled: Why the F**k did I let myself watch that in SLOW MOTION?!?!?!

I had my very first video gait analysis thingy yesterday morning. As you know, we've been building up to this moment since I started physical therapy. As a recap, in video gait analysis, they video tape you from multiple angles whilst you run for approximately 20 minutes. Then they analyze it and supposedly this helps in determining gait/form/shoe problems, etc.

Let me just say, I hope I never have to do it again. Scratch that...I hope I never have to do it again unless I'm at least 20 pounds lighter.

Friends, this was a traumatizing moment. Good and bad. Good in that I ran again for 20 minutes, and here I sit on Wednesday, pain-free. Bad in that I watched the playback with the physical therapy peeps. In slow motion. Really, really slow motion.

Now, I'll admit of course that I have body hang-ups, just like a lot of people. But overall, I'm okay with how I look. Being able to run contributes to that. I just feel so much better than I ever did before. Would I like to look like Jessica Biel? Sure, but I'm just fine with healthy me. This was until yesterday. Since then, I have considered either never wearing short again or just eating one meal per day.

EVERYTHING MOVES. They tape you from the waist down. You must wear light-coloured shorts in order for the cameras to pick you up. And to borrow a line from Friends, if the camera adds 10 pounds, then I wonder how many cameras were on ME. I mean, really, the amount of jiggle was just wrong on so many levels.

I think my exact words to the physical therapist were "Oh. Hell. No." To which she laughed and politely replied "Yeah...it's not kind to anyone."

You think?!?!?!

Anyway, there is apparently math and engineering and fairy dust involved in the actual analysis, so I won't get the results until next week. When I'll get to watch myself again. In slow motion. From all angles. And get a copy of the video to keep.

FOR-EV-ERRR.

5 comments:

Psyche said...

OMG. That is so funny! But Pulp Fiction funny, where you're horrified you're laughing as they're stabbing an adrenaline needle into Uma's heart. You poor, poor thing. I felt traumatized just by association.

Yet I sit riveted, waiting for Part II.

The Sean said...

Well- just go back in a couple of months at your fitness peak... you will see the same jiggles:) Though we feel like it at times, the body is not a rock.

Anonymous said...

It IS slow and awful to watch. I overpronate SO much that it looks like I need leg braces.

I Run for Fun said...

Yay on the painless running!!! That is awesome.

Now, do we get to watch the video too? I mean, if I ever have to go in for one of those things, I need to be prepared, no?

Seriously, you are a brave, brave woman!

Psyche said...

I think my race photos are payyback for laughing at you:)! Seriously unflattering. Taken in stance phase, it's as if all the fat on my entire leg was somehow channelled to the top of my knee to be photographed in all it's dimply glory!