Monday, March 15, 2010

Thanks for the fractions



Thanks to all of your with the good ideas for me from last week. I appreciate it and will soon be trying to work them into a plan to get a good base down for me.

But this 10% thing...Asking me to increase my mileage by 10% each week is like asking me what the air/speed velocity of an unladen swallow is.


An African one.

Nevertheless, I will attempt your crazy mathematics...but please remember people, I was a theatre major, focusing on performance. Not math.

I have physical therapy tomorrow morning as the ass-crack of dawn. For some reason, I don't mind getting up at 5 AM to go for a run, but I do mind getting up around that same time so I can shower and head to PT. Such is life in the big city. I'll also be getting the results of my video gait analysis tomorrow morning. So I hope to have a full report to you lovely people tomorrow or Wednesday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I'm the same. I'll get up at 5am for a long run, but for anything else? HELLS NO!

C said...

Ditto.

Also, I adore when any of us posts an LOLcat. I adore that website.

The Sean said...

Actually... current wisdom on increase says: to increase x amount (10% say) and then stay at that level for 3 weeks before increasing again after a down week.
Basically each month you will take on a new volume, (OR intensity within previous volume) rather than increasing EVERY week. This allows the body to know what will be expected and allow it to adapt to such before asking more of it.
Under this system you will have 10 days of discomfort and 10 days of comfort before beginning anew:)

B. Kramer said...

There is a reason why they make calculators. Good luck with your return to running. Cheers!

Psyche said...

Man, I was so excited to jump in here and sound SMART! Alas, The Sean beat me to it.

I agree not to increase EVERY WEEK, but increase, stay for 3 weeks, have a cut back week, then increase again. Repeat..

Your body responds to a sudden increase if you give it time to adjust before increasing again- the bosy sees small increases every week as continual stress with no period for adaptation.

I'd go on, but this horse has been beaten to death:)

Have a good day..