Thursday, June 24, 2010

Running through Soup

Yesterday, I got back on track. So on track was I, that I thought I'd get up at 4:30 AM in order to beat the impending heat and humidity.

Yeah, no, epic fail on the "beating-the-heat" part. I was able to successfully get up and get moving. As soon as I stepped outside, I started feeling the choke. You know that feeling where you start choking on the air? Yeah, that's the one that I felt as soon as I stepped out off the front door of my apartment at 4:45 AM. Gross.

But I was determined to get my run on, for a full 40 minutes. The gnats were plotting against me, per usual. So I tried to keep my head down and moving forward.

Oh well...at least I'm not being swarmed by fairies...that's called Musical Theatre Mondays at Sidetracks in Boystown...*Cymbal Crash*

I do love early morning runs, especially in Chicago on the lakefront path, because the lights of the city are still on and there's next to no one on the path. It is so peaceful and yet, exciting. I suppose that's going to be one of the things I'll miss the most about living here. Champ-bana is beautiful in a bucolic, flat kind of way, but definitely not as dramatic as seeing the most beautiful skyline in the world when you run. *Tear*



But still, the sweat was pouring off of me not even 10 minutes into the run. I stopped frequently at the water fountains for a drink and to splash my face. My goal for this run was to maintain a steady pace. I tried to settle into something that was comfortable for me before obsessively checking Joanie Garmin. When I did finally check, I was running sub 10:00's and feeling alright. Not the case by the end of my run, of course (the feeling alright part; sub 10:00's stuck the whole way through!), but you get the picture.

I'll be in Cleveland this weekend for a wedding, so I'll be in the Metro parks again on Friday and Saturday, I expect. I know I keep promising pictures of my Cleveland running haunts, and maybe I'll be able to deliver this time!

5 comments:

RBR said...

You are a total beast for getting out there at 4:45am in the soup! I hate the humidity (and the heat, and the extreme cold, and the wind, and the snow... such a California wimp I am!)

I am so jealous of your sub 10's Speedy McSpeedypants!

Can't wait for the Running Adventures in Cleveland Series! (See? Now you have to write about it, lest you disappoint your adoring fans! :) )

B. Kramer said...

Enjoy you trip back to Cleveland. Perhaps we'll be like ships passing in the night somewhere in the Metroparks. Just try not to be the Edmund Fitzgerald (though do drink some). Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, like breathing through a wet sock. THAT sounds fun! Glad you survived!

Felice Devine said...

Ugh! Soupy and gnatty at 4:45? No thanks. I can't take the humidity these days. Good for you for powering through.

I Run for Fun said...

Wow! Getting up early morning to beat the heat is not appealing anymore! You are getting speedier and speedier. Keep it up, girl.