Not, like, crap your pants runs. Or THE runs. Just bad runs.
That still sounds gross, but you get the point.
I had high hopes for Saturday's "long" run of 8 miles, since Friday was a scheduled rest day. However, my legs, stomach, and the weather all collectively said "nay" to my request for a halfway decent run. I could barely move my legs by the end of the run, but I did manage to maintain my 10:00 pace average. Barely. And it felt like so much work, which is not what a long, slow distance run is supposed to feel like. And it was probably the most humid that it has ever been so far.
Of course, I'm already setting myself up for a fall this week. Saturday is our 16 miler, so I'm really trying to keep to my schedule this week. Keeping that in mind, I woke up at 4:30 AM so I could get my full 50 minute run with striders in. Unfortunately, it's pretty dark at 4:30 AM, and while Naperville is probably one of the safest suburbs in the Chicagoland area, I don't really feel that comfortable running in the dark there. Luckily, or unluckily, my aunt has a treadmill in her basement, so I begrudgingly chose to run down there. It was a good idea, because the run wasn't bad at all. Granted, I hate treadmills and whatever pace I'm running on it feels light years faster than I should be running, but still...it got the job done.
I don't want to do all my weekly runs on the 'mill, so I'm going to do my shorter runs in the evening from now on, outside. My aunt has an exercise bike as well, which has so far been great for cross-training. I'll try and take pictures on my Naperville route this weekend when I have a bit more time.
My buddy Jen is letting me stay with her on Friday night so I don't have to drive back and forth from Naperville to Chicago in one day (it's about an hour trip with minimal traffic). I have Friday off, so I can drive up in the evening and then back to the Nape after the run is over on Saturday. I'm not sure what I'll do for next weekend though. We have an 18 miler on the 22nd (Happy Ramadan!!!) and I don't have Friday off, so I might drive up to Chicago the morning of the 22nd. Fun, right?
And let's not forget the Madison Mini at the end of the month. Oh yes, there's always another half...
4 comments:
Humidity is tough. It often messes with my runs! I hope it won't be as humid for your 16 miler!
Are you serious, it takes you an hour to get to Naperville? You sure you're driving the right way-direction wise? I'm only asking b/c I'm from Aurora and when I go to visit los padres, it takes me less than an hour...and I'm going a teensy bit farther. further? farther?
maybe you can get a run or two in on the prairie path? also, have you checked in with the Naperville running store? I forgot the name of it, but I do believe it's in downtown Naperville, which is quite the quaint place.
You are one dedicated girl. I've just completely stopped looking at my watch...no point doing that in this heat and humidity.
i really think something was in the air last week. seems like EVERYONE had bad running weeks.
Post a Comment