Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pain in the Knee. And Butt.

Being terrified by the prospect of a career-ending injury (what? I can still qualify for the Olympics...) motivated me to go to an actual sports medicine doctor guy. Once I figured out that my insurance covered it, I made my appointment and saw Dr. Balu Natarajan today. They had a cancellation and could see me at 7:50 AM.

Which meant catching the 6:05 AM train from Naperville. Hello, Tired!

My friend Jen recommended this guy, because as I think I wrote before, unless it's a really serious injury, he doesn't tell you to stop running. My friend Bernard has also been to see him, and thinks he's good people. And he pretty much works with mostly runners and endurance athletes. AND he was in the documentary Spellbound because he won the 1985 National Spelling Bee. Fact. This makes me like him even more. In fact...I think I might have to rent Spellbound again this weekend. He didn't tell me this himself, I recognized him but kept my super-fan thoughts to myself. I just LOVE that documentary.

Back to the topic...so we talked about my storied medical history and he made me run and walk, then did some stuff where I had to lay on my side with the bottom leg bent and then try to hold up my top leg as it is extended behind me.

Couldn't do it. Which was an "ah ha!" moment for the doctor. After a few more tests, he said that I had really weak glutes and hips. Thus my new condition: Chondromalacia of the Patella. Apparently, chicks get it a lot. Either way, he didn't tell me to stop running. He did, however, say that I need physical therapy and to strengthen my glutes. So, it's back to Athletico for me! He even knew the PA that treated me before, and while she can't do my evaluation (a real Physical Therapist has to do that), she can run my PT sessions.

So we are on the road to recovery, I think. I hope.

3 comments:

Felice Devine said...

I loved Spellbound, too!

Glad you don't have to stop running. That would suck. Let's hope the PT helps!

Anonymous said...

If he won the spelling bee, he can actually spell chondromalacia of the patella. Most doctors chicken scratch it out because they CAN'T spell it. I think.

runner26 said...

sound good!! it's always a good idea to keep the glutes and hip flexors strong!