Tuesday night delivered a shit ton of ice, although not as much as Chicago, but it looks about 10 times worse because Champaign can't get its act together. Therefore, I didn't leave my apartment on Wednesday at all. No speed work. No gym. In fact, I'll be lucky if I can get my car out of the parking lot by Saturday.
I did manage, however, to bust out my stretchy bands and whatnot to get in a teeny workout in my apartment.
And I shoveled a bit and cleaned off my car, which totally counts as exercise. I managed to make it through the day eating cookies and drinking beer. Dinner was a Kir royal and a salad, which I used to off-set the cookies. Done and done.
I figured today would be much better. The plows would have come through a few times, cars would have tramped down on the streets, and therefore I could go for a run. Knowing full well that the sidewalks would be a disaster, I knew I'd have to do my six miler on the streets solo, since Mica had to go to an early meeting. Therefore, I decided to start my run at 6 AM so there would be less cars on the roads.
It was a very strange run. At times, I felt like I had a really good stride and good form. It seemed effortless, yet it felt like I was at least hitting my pace (since today called for a marathon pace six miler). However, I was not hitting my pace...in fact I much slower. But I couldn't speed up too much because there was still a thick layer of ice on practically everything. I found parts of clear sidewalk once I got on campus, but they didn't last long and usually ended with me stopping suddenly to avoid crashing into a snow drift. The roads were just as bad. And I do believe it actually became colder as my run continued. Well, I'm happy I finished the six miles, but I'm a little concerned with the time. Either way, I needed the run. Since I'm not setting any time goals for my races this year, I shouldn't be worrying. I'm just trying to get my confidence back, and the only way to do it is to, as The Sean would say, develop the mental toughness by just being out there. I'm on my way.
I'm going to go to the gym after class this evening so I can do a little speed work on the deathmill. Not too much because tomorrow I'm supposed to do seven miles. Gulp.
It is also National Ab Month, which started three days ago now but whatever, so I'm doing ab-related stuff everyday. Hence the "NAM". Runner26 got me involved in this a few years ago, and now I'm hooked. Who knows what sort of abdominal shenanigans I'll get into this time?!?!
5 comments:
always better to slow down in these conditions... getting out there is the real goal. Consistency will bring the stride you expect!! Keep moving!
glad you're participating in ab month! hope you "enjoy" it ;)
and stay safe weather-wise!
Race this weekend, yeaaah! First race of 2011!
Also, what exactly does National Ab Month mean? Do you have to work your abs all month?
Big believer in the power of the stretchy. Streeeeetch away!
You know, I felt like I was running fast in the snow yesterday, and hitting a good pace, but I think it's just because I was working so hard to run on the snow! It was probably the same for you!
What kind of workout do you do with those bands? :)
Post a Comment