Well here we go...the final week of tapering. Last Thursday was my last scheduled cross-training session. It went pretty darn well, if I do say so myself. And I do...say so myself.
I don't know where that was going, so moving on!
Friday I ran slowly on the 'mill, hating mostly every minute of it. Saturday was my last "long" run of seven miles. Since it's dark out early in the morning now, I let myself sleep in until 9 AM and then went for a run. Yet another reason to love running in any season that is not summer: you can run at pretty much any hour of the day without worrying about it getting too hot. Garmin must have been messed up because it had me averaging a 9:40 mile for the entire run. Maybe this is true because it felt like I was working hard, but maybe not. Who knows?
So, my final week of tapering looks like this:
Monday - 40 minutes with 4 x 20 second striders
Tuesday - rest and stretch
Wednesday - 40 minutes with 6 pick-ups at 5K pace
Thursday - rest and stretch
Friday - 30 minutes easy
Saturday - 15 to 20 minutes easy
Sunday - Marine Corps Marathon
I'm excited and nervous, of course. Part of me feels like this is my third marathon, so I should be able to handle it, regardless of pacing/stomach/weather issues that may occur during the race. Part of me really, really wants to beat my time (and Oprah's...and Mike Huckabee...and Al Gore...). Part of me is super nervous since I have so many friends and family coming to watch me run.
And then there's the part of me that has nightmares about the weather forecast being 95 degrees with 88% humidity on race day.
Yep, it's marathon time!
3 comments:
can't believe it's almost here!! enjoy your last week of training and rest up for the big race!
Looks like a good plan for your last week. Enjoy it!
This is exciting...you are almost there! Hang in there and take it easy. You've done your best...now enjoy the experience.
Post a Comment