Monday, January 24, 2011

Just when you think you are fit...

...you encounter a group fitness class called "Body Blitz" and are thus humbled.

Yowza.

Here's how today went:

I awoke this morning to the sight of more snow and toyed with the idea of going to do my recovery run at the gym. I decided, in my seemingly boundless laziness, that I should just do three miles on the roads of Champaign. It was not as bad as I expected...thank you, Recovery Socks? I ran slowly on the roads and only came close to death by car a couple of times. I completed 3.25 miles about 34 minutes. Like I said, nice and slow.

You see, I didn't want to overdo it because of Body Blitz this evening. What is Body Blitz? It is a group fitness class taught by Dan, who also happens to be a genius at all things French. Life's not fair, I know. Mica, Sarah B., and Sarah H. were going to the class also. Sarah B. promised me that the class was full of hurt.

Yes....I like pain...let's do this!

Little did I know how very taxing it would be. Pretty much all of us who are runners or some sort of non-professional athlete think that we're fit-ish. We can run a few miles, or a lot of miles. We eat in a fairly healthy fashion. We cross-train. In short, I thought I could handle this class.

Oh, how wrong I was. Less than 15 minutes in, I was dying. The class is an hour long and starts with cardio, then goes into exercises for legs, arms, and finishes with core and some stretching. There is lunging, there are plyometrics, there are stretchy bands, there are push ups. All in frequent repetition with no real breaks. I have never felt so done in my life, nor have I felt so deserving of six beers. True story.

You'll be happy to know that I did not finish six beers. Yet.

I'm a little concerned with how I'm going to dress myself tomorrow when the delayed onset muscle soreness sets in and paralyzes me. Let alone with the fact that I'm supposed to do speed work tomorrow. Putting the recovery socks back on in five...four...three...two...one...see ya.

3 comments:

C said...

That sounds awesome and horrible at the same time. Wear tops with button or zippers--that way you don't have to reach your arms up over your head. I find that to be the most painful post-intensive workout.

Mica said...

My quads hurt.

The Sean said...

I suggest doing the speed work about 50 hours away from that workout... your body will be more willing to cooperate, and you won't get hurt, probably:) That stuff makes you strong! Good job!!!