Don't get me wrong, I LOVED it, but I was in such need of a break and an alcohol binge that I pretty much maintained internet silence for the month of December.
But no longer. It's time to get back to work.
I had a realization last year whilst I was puttering about my recovery. I was scared. Scared of hurting myself again and being stuck. Scared that I'd never be able to run another long distance race. Scared that that fact alone would severe ties with so many of the brilliant friends I've made as a result of running. Scared that I couldn't cut it training mostly solo down in Champaign.
I'd run my three-ish miles and call it a day. Maybe even give the DeathMill another try.
But then I signed up for the Cleveland Marathon and took a look at the Hansons plan in last month's Runner's World. And I remembered the tremendous impact that running has had on my life...
1. Asthma is pretty much gone
2. 40 lbs (and counting!) lost
3. A whole new world of friends
4. Traveling
5. Back to school and to a new career
6. Other friends and family members subsequently started running
7. Renewed relationships
8. A desire to try and retry things I'd all but given up on
9. A new outlook on life, post-surgery
10. Feeling better than I ever have previously
11. A much more constructive way to deal with stress and disappointment.
I knew I had to get it back on track, and all through break, I started plotting my return for reals this time. I set a resolution to get my running mojo back by running two full marathons this year. No time goals, just run them and stay injury free (with as little GI distress as possible). This is why I think the lower mileage plan from the Hansons might be a good experiment for this year. If I was running with time goals, I'd stick to something more traditional. I want to just run them and have fun!
Along with that, I'm hoping to blog a little more frequently now that life has settled down a bit! I make no promises though...we all know how that will end. I had a great run today with Micapie. I felt like I was going to barf, but I think that was a combination of the frigid temps and my breakfast of madeleines. Oops.
Oh! And I bought a bike last year! Her name is, ironically, Madeleine the Widowmaker. She is lightweight and built for awesomeness. She's a Trek road bike that is making me consider triathlons. Maybe. If I can get over my crippling fear of appearing in a bathing suit in public. I had a wonderful time with her in October and most of November, but sadly, due to the weather and current road conditions, she is chillaxin' in my living room until things thaw out a bit.
So that's all for now. On the menu for tomorrow morning is three miles early in the morning since I'm working for the rest of the day. The weekend holds the promise of shitty weather. The city of Champaign has proven to be completely inept at snow removal, which will definitely pose a big challenge to my marathon training. I've never let a little snow stop me before, and I'm not going to start now.
Thanks for sticking around! I promise I'm reading your work...your running lives and tales have kept me going, honestly. I don't think I'd have battled back if it weren't for you out there in blogland :)

4 comments:
Welcome back! Looking forward to reading more :)
I thought I was the only one that disappeared for long stretches without a word to anyone. Keep on runnin (and bikin)!
heyyy its nice to see you back here!! welcome back :)
I was just wondering if you had given up on the blog.
You should get a trainer! I'm all about riding my bike in front of the TV.
...I'm still considering a spring marathon, so maybe I'll join you for some of those icy days.
Post a Comment