Thursday, January 20, 2011

Treadmill - 1, Me - 0

Oh Treadmill, how I hate thee.

And yet, I appreciate your presence. A bit.

Due to Champaign's lack of prowess in dealing with precipitation of the fluffy variety, I knew deep down inside that I would have to run on the treadmill this semester. Probably on more than one occasion. Friends, today was one of those days.

The ever-so delightful (she said, oddly enough, with sincerity) Mica was going to do a speedy (as in pace, not length of time) workout at the gym because the forecast called for crappy amounts of snow. According to the Hansons, I was supposed to run anywhere in the neighborhood of three to 6 miles today. I had planned on four or five. As it is infinitely better to have one running partner, I decided that I would put the Mooney Suzuki to good use and drive us both to the ARC for some running fun.

I told myself, "It's just a treadmill. It's all mental. It's actually easier to run on a treadmill than outside. It will be safer today. You can maybe even do speed work! It's okay to walk..."

As my grandfather would say...a likely story.

We hopped on the 'mills and started. Mica was running, like, within seconds. I convinced myself that I needed to warm up so I should walk for five minutes. Brilliant, I know. When I did start running, I tried to keep up a mere 10:00 per mile pace. This averages out to 6 mph on the 'mill. It feels like SPRINTING. I don't care what anyone says. So I dropped down to 5.8 mph and did my best to maintain that for until I hit 4.5 miles. At that time, I upped the pace back to 6 mph and then increased the pace by 10 second intervals every .2 or .1 miles after that.

Balls.

I guess the important thing is that I got my workout out of the way and managed not to crash my car on the way home. I just wish I could do a worthwhile workout on a treadmill! It would make Winter so much easier! I probably shouldn't even complain...most of the time, when I'm on the deathmill, I can barely make it to one mile before I need to walk again. One. Mile. Today I made it to three, stopped for some water, then kept running. I seriously felt like I'd worked out soooooo hard, but how could I have done so? I was basically running at a 10:20 pace the whole time. Le sigh.

And again, on the upside, it was nice to have a workout buddy. I think if Mica hadn't been there, I would have started walking sooner. Or I would have arrived at the gym and bailed on the 'mill in favour of the elliptical. Good times.

Tomorrow, however, I think I need to be outside. I want to do five miles tomorrow (scheduled: 0 to 6...I know, ridiculous), six on Saturday (scheduled 3-6), and eight on Sunday (scheduled 4 to 8).

If I can get all of my workouts in, I'm treating myself to a prize at the end of the week. I might even try to make it a tradition and do that every week. Good bye, paycheck.

2 comments:

runner26 said...

The treadmill is definitely not as good as outside, but it's a good alternative for those days when you might otherwise skip a workout. Nice job getting in some mileage!

Mica said...

Oof, it was rough over on my treadmill too. I couldn't believe how slowly the first two miles ticked by.

We'll have to get each other's backs this winter. To the gym we go!