Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Speed Work"

The weather in Champaign was pleasantly surprising today. When I was getting ready for bed last night, planning my run with Mica, I was afraid that I'd wake up to an ice storm.

Thankfully, it was just rainy and foggy. I can handle that.

The plan for today was to do some intervals. I figured I'd use a mile to warm up, then try to keep up with Mica for three miles, then cool down for a mile. Here's my problem with intervals: I just can't run that fast, or that noticeably fast anyway. It's also hard to gauge the difference with Joanie Garmin. However, when I adjusted the settings last Fall (thanks again to Mica...she's like my fairy running godmother), it became a little easier to keep track of what pace at which I've run certain miles. I think the autopause option screws up the times too, but I'm afraid to change it in the event that I forget to start and stop Garmin at traffic crossings, etc.

The conditions of the streets and sidewalks are still kinda slippery and dangerous. Also, I think getting my body used to waking up at 6 AM and running at 7 AM slows me down a bit. Still, there was a difference in pace during my run and I am totally claiming that as speed work. It may have only been a few seconds, but it counts. Dammit.

And in other news, I received a new camera as a Christmas present! This clearly means more pictures for you out there in blogland. I'm excited to share the more mundane aspects of my running life in Champaign.

Today I have these gems for you. I think I may have mentioned my crack house of an apartment before. While I haven't seen any roaches of late, my neighbors, particularly the one who lives below me, have taken creepy and irritating to a new level. For instance, as I type now, I am being serenaded by the dulcet tones of Michael Jackson. I can hear "Heal the World" over the sound of the television that is less than five feet away from me.

But I digress. I live in a small, one-bedroom apartment. I have no place for storage, and even less places to store and deodorize my sweaty running clothes. I've had to use more creative means.

Exhibit A:

My bedroom door can only hold so many items...

Exhibit B:

The ground and a busted printer can also be used to dry items...

Exhibit C:

Back of the bathroom door. Classic.

Exhibit D:

Not really an example of creative storage. Just the ever-expanding wall of motivation

1 comment:

Mica said...

I've just gotten in the habit of starting and stopping the Garmin when I pause and go again. I forget occasionally, but rarely.