It was a small, local 5K sponsored by an advocacy group. Smallest. Race. Ever. No, really it was...I think there were less than 40 total registrants. I did something I usually never do: wait until race day to register! Granted, I spent my last $20 on registering (seriously...$0.55 left in bank account now), but I figured that A) I needed to do something running related or I would never get back on track, and B) socializing with awesome new friends is an investment in me not being a total loner. New friend MicaPie and Ryan were going to run the race as well.
Based on my runs lately (which have been more or less maintenance related, with no specific time goal), I knew I would not be PRing. Instead, I was just hoping to finish under 30 minutes. The course was two loops in a local park, with the finish being up hill.
F that noise. F that noise indeed.
All in all, I ran a fairly consistent race. I finished in 29:07, so I met my C goal. I'm happy with that, but I'm also a bit disappointed that I didn't finish in the 27-28 minute range. I've been running 5Ks for a while now, and in the last 7 or 8 that I've done, I've finished in the 27 minute range. Looks like it's time to bust out some more speedwork.
There's another race in two weeks that I might sign up for as well, pending funding of course.
6 comments:
Congratulations!!! It's always hard coming back after an injury that sidelines you for a while, but you did phenomenally, sticking with it, even when the going was rough. You are a committed runner and I have no doubt you'll be running mighty speedy 5Ks in no time.
Never heard "eff that noise" before, but I agree. Finishing on an uphill isn't fun.
And yeah, that was the smallest race of all time.
Yeah, F the hill. Even though I'm embarrassed to call it a "hill" in the first place.
Yay, running!
Congrats on getting back to the race. The speed will return. Cheers!
yay for your first race back!!! the speed will come, but glad you are back out there!
Hey, you had an uphill finish so that adds some time. I think your time was great for your first race back!
Post a Comment