Friday, May 15, 2009

Crisis Averted

Runner's World arrived yesterday. Dammit.

Don't make me get the hose, Runner's World. I'll do it too.

This turns out to be rather fortuitous because it means that tonight I can return to my Friday night ritual of eating pasta whilst watching a running flick AND flipping through Runner's World to psych me up for my Saturday long runs. Woohoo!

This morning's run was by far my best run of the week. I don't know whether it's the weather or the fact that I took last week off, but my runs this week were not easy. Monday and Wednesday evening runs felt like I was doing speed work. Perhaps it was because I hadn't eaten anything in a while? Whatever it was, I felt short of breathe and my knees were killing me.

Yes, I know, I need to get a new pair of shoes. As soon as I have money to do this, I'll get right on it. Shoes are a priority, to be sure, but so is my rent. At least for the next two months anyway.

So I decided to get up early to run today, since the forecast predicted terribly thunderstorms starting this afternoon. I was not about to get struck by lightening all for the sake of a 40 minute run. So I went out, and even though I had trouble with asthma for the last five minutes of my run, it was much better than Monday and Wednesday. I've also decided that, to help my efforts with running faster this summer, my runs during week will be faster than my Saturday long runs. This may seem obvious to you, but as I look back through my training logs, not all of my weekly runs were at a fast pace than my long runs. Some were at the exact same pace. Thus it should follow that, generally, if my weekly runs are at a sub 10:00 pace, the weekend long runs at a 10:00 shouldn't be beyond the realm of running possibilities. For me, at least. I hope...

And now I'm looking forward to my long run tomorrow. Some of the girls won't be there for various and sundry reasons, but I'm expecting a pretty big turn-out. CES summer marathon training sold out last year, and the 6 Am (for run walkers) or 6:30 AM start times don't really seem to deter anyone. Because runners are bad asses, duh.

5 comments:

Nitmos said...

I think runners are just gluttons for punishment. We are all sadists.

My RW showed up also. Now my #2's won't be so boring. Too much info?

Aron said...

yay for runners world! i hope mine comes soon.

and yes dont you worry - there will be fun in the fuel belt :)

Frayed Laces said...

Ooh goody that means my RW will arrive in a few days.

Girl, I think you need to change your friday routine with a bowl of pasta plus a side of tasty man time.

C said...

I'm kinda sad your RW arrived. I wanted to see you go medieval on their asses. ;)

I'm liking your pacing plan for your weekend runs. Makes perfect sense. I need to do that too.

I Run for Fun said...

Yay for RW! I find the first few runs after a week off, pretty difficult. Hope you get those shoes soon. Is it too early for Christmas?