Friday, May 1, 2009

And then THIS happened

Yesterday I started to feel that I was succumbing to whatever everyone else has right now.

Not swine flu. Sinus infections. Although when I worked for the State a few years ago, but old, crazy boss did get Swine flu. The Department of Public Health even contacted me and interviewed me before determining that I was neither the cause nor the victim of her illness. But it does make you wonder...

I digress. The point is, I called in sick so I could stay home, Zicam my mouth, drink lots of orange juice and tea, and study for the GRE. The GRE has become an increasingly large stress-factor in my life, as well as a source of panic. All of those things lower your resistance to infection. I figured a day at home in my PJ's studying would be good. And all was well until it came time to head to bed. I wanted to be in bed early so I could get up and log my final easy run before the race this weekend. With the way my shins have been acting, I didn't want to chance running on Saturday at all.

Epic Fail

As I was brushing my teeth and watching Hellboy on cable, the t.v. suddenly went out, as did the lights in my bedroom and the kitchen. Girls from upstairs and boys from downstairs came to help me with the fuse boxes, as the same thing happened in their units. Nothing worked, so we called the landlord. Landlord was monumentally useless, saying there was nothing he could do and that no one would come out until the morning.

At which point, I'd already be freaking out and all of my food would have spoiled. Great, right? I had to nix the morning run because I couldn't get any sleep last night. Landlord showed up around 9 ish and proceeded to be useless, insisting that I contact the power company. I had a few choice words with him, and then headed to work. What else could I do? Supposedly, everything has been fixed at this point by ComEd. It turns out that there were a lot of outages in our area.

I'm trying to calm down now. My head still hurts a lot, and my jaw is sore from clenching my teeth. I hope the power is back on so I can get some rest tonight.

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!

1 comment:

I Run for Fun said...

Oh no! A sinus infection and a power outage! That sucks. Sure hope the power comes back on. Good luck at the race.