Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Follow-up to Big Steps

I came. I saw. I ran for 6 minutes straight.

Yes, you can call this a success. Especially since, other than a dull ache, I'm feeling okay right now. I've been feeling phantom pains over the last couple of days, which has worried me, but perhaps I'm just psyching myself out. Anyway, we did a few exercises, then stretched and foam-rolled before proceeding to the DeathMill. Upon starting the 'Mill, I walked for 3 minutes. Then, it was time to get down to business. A six minute run. Sure, it was slow, but it was a run. Physical Therapist observed the action from all sides of the 'Mill and then stated "We've got some work to do."

Apparently, I'm a "toe-runner." For obvious reasons, my feet turn out a bit when I run, and my Right foot turns out a lot. Since I'm already a severe over-pronator, this puts a lot of stress on the muscles that are hurting. Physical Therapist is pretty sure this a large contributing factor to my current state of ouchiness.

So that's good, in a way. Even if it does continue to hurt, it's a form problem. Albeit, a complicated form problem, but a form problem nonetheless. It'll just be a slow recovery. I'm really going to have to fight the urge to try and get back to where I was in the space of a week. I'm also thinking this means I might have to not do the Palos Height Half-Marathon in May. The temptation will be too great to run all-out. Plus, this was the first time I've run in nearly a month and it was only for six minutes. That's a far cry from a long run. I don't think I can, or should, try an make up the ground I've lost in the space of a month, basically.

But either way, today was a step in the right direction. And I do believe that I have a date with a foam roller this evening.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on that step! Hooray!

The Sean said...

6 minutes of glory! Maybe do the
5k option in May?? You could still run a solid race with less impact and lower volume.

B. Kramer said...

Congrats on the betterness. Cheers!

Felice Devine said...

Congrats on your 6 minutes! Better than nothing, I'd say.