Okay so this has nothing to do with running...but why, oh why, do people get so bent out of shape about being the first to comment on anything? It's a bit creepy...the idea that someone out there has so much time on their hands, that they can wait till you popular kids post your blog and then leave a triumphant "FIRST!!?!!" in your comments. Followed by an actual, legit comment, of course. I don't get it.
On to the good stuff. Thursday included my return to doing strength training in my room, as opposed to the gym. So I did lunges, push-ups, single-leg squats, stork dips, etc. All while watching YouTube videos of fast, skinny people. Sigh.
This morning's run did not start out well. What is it with the wind these days? And you know, I'd appreciate this sort of wind maybe during the summer when it's 80 degrees out with 70% humidity. But noooooooo...it's gotta come when it's rainy and cold out. Worst. I expected the wind tunnel on Irving Park to be bad. And of course, it was terrible. I had to stop twice in order to breath. Usually, the wind lets-up a little bit once I hit the path.
Wrong, again!
It hammered me so freakin' hard. I was all over the path. If it had been crowded, or not 5 AM, I most likely would have been a traffic hazard. I just kept telling myself to stay relaxed, just like Ryan Hall, and maintain good form, even if it meant sacrificing the pace a bit. I also bargained with myself, promising that if I could make it to the turn-around at Foster Avenue, that I could stop for a second and stretch out my knees.
Luckily, when I turned around, I had a nice tail wind for pretty much the whole way home. The wind tunnel was waiting for me when I got back, so I put my head down and pushed on until I was past Broadway. It was a tough run, but I was definitely proud that I got out there and did it. Like a lot of people have said before, I've never regretted getting up and going for a run, no matter how crazy it was.
As of right now, I still have a job. The day is young, though, so keep your fingers crossed.
6 comments:
FIRST!!!!!!!!!!
:-)
I've often wondered the same thing, btw. But then, no one ever writes "first" on my blog. Am I too boring? Probably!
Have a great weekend!
(And I hope you keep your job!)
I feel your pain with the wind. It won't let up! It just makes me SO mad while I'm running, that I'm literally cursing aloud at the wind. Hate. It. ;)
~carpeviam
that's why they call it the windy city.. i've been there.
nice job fighting it. Just think of it as speedwork or hill training, since it almost requires the same effort.
Ha ha! I'm not one of the popular kids, so I wouldn't know.
What a great run!
ekkk that wind sounds painful.
Post a Comment