Friday, April 24, 2009

I love the smell of doughnuts in the morning...

...it smells like VICTORY.



Every time I go for a morning run, I am greeted by the smell of doughnuts. The smell is so wonderful. It's like crack. Crack for runners. I can only assume that it's coming from the Mexican bakery on my street. One day (hopefully before I move out at the end of August) I will celebrate a run with those doughnuts.

But seriously, it's hard to continue my run after smelling those doughnuts. It's like trying to withstand the attacks of the Viet Cong...or a very large Marlon Brando. Every step after I smell those wonderful pastries (pastries...are doughnuts pastries? Discuss) is a constant remind that every step takes me further away from those tasty delicacies. At least until I hit the turn around. Then of course, each step takes me closer and closer to democracy. Or Heaven. Take your pick. Hey, maybe it's BOTH?

Sadly, by the time I get back I have no time to stop for a doughnut. I must get back in my apartment to stretch and make a half-assed effort at cleaning up for work. Because, you know, I still have my job!

Today, I signed up to run with my people again. Even though I'll be living in 'burb when August rolls around. After consulting with a few people, I decided that it's more than worth it to have the group to run with twice a week, and a schedule to follow. Once we enter August, I should be able to cover most long distances by myself on the weekends. For the really big distances, I can stay with a friend on Friday night and then be able to do the long runs on Saturday mornings. This is my plan, and I'm sticking to it.

This morning's run was fairly uneventful. Unless you consider getting nicked in the arm by a Lance-wannabe uneventful. Ouch. Other than that, I ran 9:40's and felt pretty good about it. Nothing hurt (other than my left arm), including my shins. So therefore, I'm going to be careful this weekend. I have a 6 miler scheduled for Sunday, but we'll see. The Ravenswood 5K is that weekend, and as much as I'd love to do TWO 5K's in one weekend, I've already spent enough money. I'll probably just run to the race, cheer on my friends, and run home.

Race report tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Technically speaking, doughnuts are NOT pastries. Here is why: doughnuts are deep-fried greasy goodness and pastries are baked bliss (thus, croissants, scones, etc., are considered "baked goods"). I enjoy ALL, so this is simply a technicality. I say, leave a little earlier on your run and make time to have yourself a doughnut!!

~carpeviam

I Run for Fun said...

I can imagine the mental battle as you run past the doughnuts! Sigh!