Bad enough to draw tears from my eyes.
Bad enough to slow my pace anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds per mile.
And contrary to popular belief, Chicago was called "The Windy City" not due to the offending breezes, but due to the level of political discourse, which still exists today. Still, the wind epithet kinda works best.
Now, if Earth Wind and Fire were running with me, that'd be a different story. Fo sho!

Yesterday evening I was determined not to let Wind fuck with my run. After my half-mile warm up, I hit the path at a fairly speedy (for me, anyway) pace of 9:23 per mile. I then decided that instead of doing hill work, I would do a tempo run instead. As predicted, the first half was great. I made it all the way to the Theatre on the Lake. As soon as I turned around, Wind was waiting for me. With what felt like a baseball bat to the face.
But I has resolve. Oh I have it! I was not about to let Wind ruin my peak training weeks. Hell to the No. So I dug in as deep as I could. If I could keep my pace from dropping, even if it didn't feel amazing, I could consider this run an epic WIN. As it is light out in the evenings these days (yaaaaay!!!), I could actually see people as they ran by me. Perhaps they could even see me. If so, no doubt they were wondering about the tears streaming down my face. Indeed, when I returned home, triumphant, my roomie inquired as to whether or not I'd been crying. I took a look in the mirror to discover that not only was my face streaked with tears, but my eyes were bloodshot and puffy.
I'm going to label this run the "I-Broke-Up-With-My-Boyfriend-Except-I-Don't-Have-A-Boyfriend" run.
Or maybe I'm dating the Wind. That's a good metaphor. Ponder that one for a bit whilst I stress over my job. Still no word yet.
5 comments:
Wind sucks but it does work great as resistance training! Just think how fast you'll be on a non-windy day.
Wind IS like the bad boyfriend you need to break up with...
a)you try to get away from him, but there he is, waiting for you.
2)he can slow you down and fuck up your life (at the present).
and e)he'll draw tears to your eyes, even when you don't want to cry.
Damn that Wind. Dammit.
~carpeviam
You are getting some hard core windy runs in.
Of all the elements, I think wind's the worst (other than sleet...and snow...and cold rain...) Hell, why can't it just be sunny and 60 degrees every day???
I was going to say you totally kicked the wind's ass, but does wind even have an ass? And if it does, how do you know you're kicking it and not another appendage?
i had a windy run today and it was terrible, and during the first half of my run. it was terrible. as far as that windy city fact, i love pointing that out to people who think they're so clever in talking about how windy the windy city is.
Post a Comment