Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday, subtitle: Can't Stay Awake

If my life were Nightmare on Elm Street, I'd be truly screwed because it is just really hard to stay awake! I'm beginning to think that the lack of sleep in negatively affecting my running.

Note to self: big race in two weeks. Sleep more.

I went to bed way to late last night because my former roommate is in town and last night was Day #1 in the Bachelorette Weekend (I thought these things were only one day...). Tonight is Day #2. To be followed by Day #3. I'll either go broke or get hit by a bus from falling asleep whilst crossing the street. As a nice side note, she gave me an invitation to the wedding. I've never been to an Indian wedding before, but from what's she's said, it's a week long affair. Thank God I have all those vacation days to use up before August 31st.

The point is, I didn't get to bed until after midnight last night and had to get in a run this morning. No boozing happened last night (okay, okay, one glass of Sangria) so I wasn't hungover-tired, just tired-tired when my alarm went off at 5:30 AM. Before I went to bed last night, I told myself that if I could just get a half hour run in, I'd be okay. Well, 30 minutes was about all I could manage this morning. It was like the wind was pushing me backwards, only there was no wind.

Shocking, I know.

The upside is that I ran 9:40's and I did get my run in, and I felt great afterwards. Sometimes, all you need to do is just get it done, no matter how crappy it feels. 9 times out of 10, you feel at least a little bit better when you're done. This is yet one of the many reasons I want to keep running in my life.

No one is running with me this weekend, but that's okay since I've only got 8 miles. I might bump that to 10 depending upon which day I'll actually be able to go for a run. Sunday it's supposed to rain and I'd prefer not to run in shitty weather at least for a little while. However, I have to take my car in for emissions testing on Saturday and who knows how long that will take.

2 comments:

I Run for Fun said...

Great job on getting the run in, despite lack of sleep. One of the reasons I love running is it makes us tougher people.

A week? That'll be fun. Im sure you'll have a blast.

C said...

I feel your pain with the lack of sleep. Here's to this week being better for both of us. :)

Good job getting that run in too. I need to channel that attitude more often and then getting runs in wouldn't be so difficult. At least in my fragile little mind. :)