Saturday, April 25, 2009

Race Report, Race to Wrigley

So today was the race to Wrigley 5K. The weather was predicted to be wonderful and I was going to take it slow, since I have the Palos Heights half marathon next weekend. I don't have too many race-day pictures because they *ahem* give away my political persuasions. So, please forgive the lack of photos.

I picked up my race packet on Thursday and was surprised by the quality bag! Instead of a plastic bag (which I do recycle!), they gave us one of those reusable shopping bags. Very cool, I must say.


Unfortunately, the race shirt, while technical in nature, was huge. I had asked for a medium when I registered, because it wasn't specified as men's or women's sizes. I was wrong, and received a men's medium. HUGE, I tell you, HUGE! But it's a nice shade of blue, and it has the Cubs on it, so I won't complain too much. I can always wear it under stuff once we roll back into winter. Because it will happen, oh yes it will...


This morning, I got up at 6:30 AM, not really feeling great. Everyone is sick right now so I've been doing my best to fend off the germs, at least until after I take the GRE on May 9th (so really, I should be studying right now). I had a Cliff Bar and a cup of tea for breakfast. Since the start was so close to my apartment, I stuck my house key in my shoe wallet and headed out. I brought my camera with me because I really wasn't intending to go that fast.

The skies were rather grey at the start of the race, and I detected a drop or two of rain. I lined up with some new friends, and none of us really talked about pace. I was secretly hoping they'd be on the slow side.


Unfortunately, I picked a girl that was ever-so-slightly faster than me. Case in point, we were on pace to run sub 9 minute miles. My new buddy's name was Bridgit and she's my age as well. We chatted for about a mile before we both lost powers of speech. I was secretly hoping she'd blow by me! We weren't even two miles in when my knees and calves started to feel a bit weak. However, Bridgit turned to me as we rounded mile two and said "Don't leave me or I'll stop". This was a great relief to me, because I thought she was going to dust me. So I said to her, "You don't leave ME or I'll definitely stop!" And thus we continued on together, pushing as hard as we could. We were still running pretty fast. Joanie Garmin had us at an average of 8:50. I was feeling the hurt as we hit mile three, but at that point, it was pretty much over, so Bridgit and I pushed it and finished in a PR for me!

I haven't checked the official time yet, but according to Joanie Garmin, I finished in 27:48, which is a PR for me by a little over a minute. All in all, it was a pretty good day and I got to meet new people and make new friends...sweet deal!

10 comments:

runner26 said...

congratulations on the PR! Sounds like a great race! And to a great place! I miss wrigley.

Marcy said...

Fantastic job!

That IS a nice bag :-) Good stuff!

C said...

YAY! Great job, R. Sweet bag too.

Felice Devine said...

Congratulations! That's a terrific PR! So cool that you were able to find someone to run with and that you ended up pushing each other.

I Run for Fun said...

You go, girl! Congrats on the sweet PR!

I'm usually not lucky in the race T-shirt area either, but that is a cool color...and nice bag.

RBR said...

27:48?! Christ woman! Do you get wind burn at that speed?

Nice job!

Midwest said...

Hey, are you running the 13.1 Chicago trisko in June? I will be there...

C said...

Hey, R! In answer to your question on my blog...

You're right, it is not a guarantee of a placement. And they wait until October to tell you whether or not you're in. The Brits are sadistic bastards.

Aron said...

congrats on the PR!!!!! yayyy! love all the swag too :)

Nitmos said...

PR? Awesome! Oversized shirt? not as awesome but manageable.

Congratulations!