Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cruisin'

My Sunday nooner long run turned into a Sunday 10:30 AM long run, just because I have crap to do today. So not only was I going to be doing 7 miles, I was going to be doing it solo. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, because honestly seven miles isn't that far. It is, however, the farthest I've run since injuring myself. Needless to say, despite the sunshine and decent weather, I was approaching this run with some trepidation.

It really didn't seem too cold out, so i just wore tights, a long sleeve CES shirt, a vest, gloves, and the hat that I usually wear in the summer just to keep my hair from going all over the place.

I was only about 5 minutes or so into the run when I noticed that the wind was going to be a problem. I had to keep ducking my head or grabbing my hat. I decided that, in order to avoid going to far South, I would run a loop North first on the Lakefront path before heading South. I estimated that I'd be able to turn around at the North Avenue bridge and finish the 7 miles at my doorstep.

I forgot that I'm pretty bad at math. More on that later.

If you recall from last week, I've been running slightly faster than ever before for me! Since I was going to be doing a solo 7 miles, I figured that I wouldn't be able to maintain this new-found pace. So I look down at Joanie Garmin before I've hit a mile, just to see what's what...and I'm running at a 9:30 pace. So I think to myself, there's no way I can maintain this. But I keep going anyway. My right hip flexor started acting up, of course, but it went away as the run progressed. I made a mental note to stretch that mother as soon as I got home! So far, nothing with the Left foot! The wind settled down as I turned South, which was a huge relief. At the same time, I tried to engage the neurons and estimate when I should turn around. North Avenue bridge sounded about right. It would mark about 5.5 miles, leaving me with 1.5 miles to go.

Incorrect. I should have turned around when Garmin read 4.5 miles. Instead, I ran the extra mile and when I turned around the wind just started slamming me. Maybe if this had been at the beginning of my run, I would have felt strong enough to soldier on. But it just kept pounding me and I couldn't breathe! Form went right out into Lake Mich. All I could think about was trying to protect myself. And of course this is when I realized that I would hit 7 miles before I reached Belmont. For those of you in the Chicago area, this is still a mile from Irving Park, which is a half mile still from my apartment. Perhaps the smart thing to do would have been to continue running till I reached home. However, by the time I reached Belmont, I just couldn't do it anymore. I may freeze, but I couldn't run another step into the wind.

Consequently, I walked the 1.5 miles home (having run 7.25) and am still chilled. I'll be on my third cup of tea momentarily!

But I did maintain that 9:30 pace for the duration of the run! This is officially the longest that I've ever been able to maintain such a pace.

Oh, and I totally forgot to mention that there is one non-freak at the gym! He shall henceforth be denoted at "Runner Guy". How do I know he's a runner? I don't for sure, but I think he is! He looks like he is...you know what I'm talking about! He looks like one of those guys that was probably on the cross country team. I don't mind that he's at the gym whenever I am. Using the same equipment as me. Lookin' all cute and runner-like.

Will I do anything about this? Definitely not! Will this make my last month of gym membership pleasant? Damn right!

4 comments:

Marci said...

Great pace on your run, especially with all of that wind!

Marcy said...

You won't even talk to him? Awwwhhh come on now! ;-)

Aron said...

awesome job on your run!!!!

C said...

Great pace, lady! I'm so envious.

As for gym eye candy...yesterday when I was in spin class, I saw a hottie on the treadmill through the spin room window. Very definitely a runner because of his lovely legs. I wanted to actually bite his thigh. Thankfully, I have some self control. But I should stress 'some'. ;)

I agree with Marcy, talk to the dude!