Friday, February 27, 2009

Icey Death

I woke up this morning at 5 AM, ready to get in a solid 40 minute run before heading to work and then hanging with my family this weekend. Layers were put on, iPod was charged, Joanie Garmin found her satellites, and all seemed well with the world.

Then I slipped on the steps. Ouch.



It rained a lot yesterday, which wasn't so bad considering we were in the midst of a heat wave. That wave of Spring air disappeared over night and consequently, shit iced-over.

I dusted myself off, pretended like I totally meant to bite it on my front steps, and moved on. Everything seemed okay until I hit the Lakefront Path. And by "hit", I mean HIT. Normally, they are really good about plowing and salting the path. This time not so much. And granted, this happened over night so I can't really bitch about it. I tried to go a little further, looked down at Joanie, and realized I was running 12 minute miles. This was not how I'd imagined my morning run at all! I made the executive decision to turn around and perhaps try running through my 'hood, since the sidewalks didn't seem that bad. I guess "not that bad" is a relative phrase because I only managed to run 11 minute miles. Parts of the sidewalk were really slippery and I became pretty paranoid about twisting my ankle.

Plus, the back of my right heel feels like it's sore or bruised. What's up with that?

I made it back safely, sadly only completely 3.65 miles. At least I got out there! I'm proud of that.

So it's off to NaperTHRILL this weekend because my parents are in town and my aunt is coming in from India for the weekend. It'll be nice to do my 6 miles on the Prairie Path. Unless the path is flooded. Then it might be uncomfortable.

5 comments:

Felice Devine said...

ACK! I hope your ankle is OK! Have fun this weekend.

C said...

Ouchie. Take care of yourself. Sometimes it's better to cross train in the safety of your apartment than risk life, limb and bum out on the pavement.

Have a good weekend!

I Run for Fun said...

Ouch! Hope you didn't hurt anything. The ice sounds deadly. You were smart about turning back.

Aron said...

oh no!!! glad you are ok... stupid slippery things!

runner26 said...

i hope the weather there is improving--but i doubt it. it's barely march! hope you are recovered from the fall.