Saturday, July 26, 2008

12 Humid Miles

Today I was actually able to get up and run my 12 miles in the Chicago humidity. Huzzah for me! Somehow I managed to drag myself away from the cast party and get home at a semi-decent hour.

All was well until my douchebag neighbors upstairs started making noise. 15 minutes before my alarm was set to go off. Don't you hate that? It irritates me to no end. So, I gave the little monsters a talking-to, ate breakfast, and got ready for my run. You could already feel the humidity pressing down on you at 5:30 AM, so I knew to dress appropriately and bring extra water. I was a little nervous about the run because I haven't tried these miles at my new slightly-faster pace. Joanie Garmin accompanied me on said run, and I must say that her performance was a little off. Probably because I haven't quite figured her out yet. I'm working on it! Anyway, our pace varied according to Joanie...anywhere from 11:34 to 9:30. So I guess it averaged out to the correct pace. Now I am known as Garmin Girl. I'll take what I can get.

The run started out a little rocky as our normally reliable CES pacers took us North on the Lakefront from Montrose, when we were supposed to head due-South towards the Ohio Street beach. It turned out for the best because we were able to turn around early. There's something about running to the Ohio street beach that just makes me tired thinking about it. But, that's how it rolls with increased mileage. It would, of course, be much better if I didn't think so much about the distance at all. Alas and alack. My legs are a little sore now that I'm back at my apartment. Woe is me, I know. We had the unexpected surprise of seeing Jen Green, who paced us in the 11 minute group for Winter Warriors. She's pacing for Nike right now...not sure whether or not she's doing the CDC or the Banco Half. Either way, we'll all meet again on the Path this summer.

The crowds, humidity, and the thought of French toast made the run a little difficult, but we finished and it felt pretty great! Next stop, m. henry for breakfast! Hellooooo French toast!

Oh, and opening night went really well! We were all on fire...so I just hope we can keep the momentum going. I'm a little worried about making it to the theatre on time this evening because of the Cubs game, but we'll see. Not sure what's going on after the show, but I hope it involves a lot of food. And Jamesons, always Jamesons.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Congrats on your great opening!

Frayed Laces said...

Wow, balancing theater AND running? Now that is quite a feat, my dear!

B. Kramer said...

Congrats on the sticky run and a good opener. Treat Jameson well and he will treat you well. Cheers!