Friday, July 25, 2008

Oh no he didn't!

We had reviewers at our preview last night. A lot of actors like to know when the reviewers are at a particular show. I prefer not to know, because it really doesn't help...it just makes your ass nervous. Well, we've got one review out so far, and I stupidly decided to read it. Idiot!

I usually never read reviews until the show is over, or so close to being over that I don't care anymore. Well this guy gave a show a good review, and actually recommended it! Yay for us! But he did have one semi-negative comment. Guess who it was directed to.

If you guessed me, you would be correct! Basically, it said I need to "...work on her Irish brogue."

Pardon? Please say that again in my good ear. The ear that is attached to my first generation Irish-American has dual citizenship former Irish dancer did I mention my whole family is Irish and goes back every year body?

Do I need to work on being a better actor? One with more freedom, grounding, movement skills, connection, etc.? Absolutely! I am constantly occupied by those things. It's a process, and my process is long and slow. Which, coincidentally, is how I run. But I digress...

I do not, however, need to work on my Irish accent. No. Flippin'. Way. I need to get over this before 7 PM. Tonight is the actual opening night. Normally, to an actor that would mean festivities into the wee hours of the morning. For me, that also means a date with my constant companion, Jamesons.

Not this time, however, I've got a 12 miler at 6:15 AM on Saturday morning. Oh yes, I'll still have a drink, as in singular, with the cast. It's not even the booze that will throw my run off, it's the lack of sleep! By the time the show is over and we're at the bar, it'll be nearly 10 PM. If I left right away, I might make it home by 10:30 PM. I need to get up at 4 AM in order to eat, drink, and get ready for the run. This does not provide much-needed sleep time. So, I will be making a HUGE sacrifice in not partying like it's going out of style with my cast.

I should probably be home working on my accent anyway. Sheesh.

2 comments:

Marcy said...

I hear you! I'd rather not know til the end too LOL

Seriously chica, don't even sweat it. He's probably just not down with the Irish folk like you so doesn't know any better ;-)

Angela said...

Yikes!

Reading reviews is always so tempting... But I have to stop doing it. Can't let them change your performance. Do what you've been doing.

And don't be offended by some jackass of a critic.