Thursday, July 31, 2008

F**k You, Welcome to my Process



First the Shakespeare, then the running...

Shakespeare!
Today's blog title comes as a reference to a popular saying around the Hart/Carleson Shakespeare classes. If you've ever been a student of Susan and/or Jeffrey, you know exactly what I'm talking about. It's basically this attitude of "Hi, here is what I'm doing with the Truth, thanks!" Without judgment, intimidation, or any sort of audition-like anxiety. Good stuff, really. Well last night was the start of my new session or monologue classes with Susan and Jeffrey...because I just can't resist. I wanted to work on a monologues that I've actually had for a while. It's Queen Margaret from Henry VI Part III. Having Susan and Jeffrey help me with this one is really exciting because I love the piece and never really had a chance to work on it the way you should work on it. Now I can work on it AND run at the same time! People love that...I used to do it at the fitness center at Kent. Gotta love it when you're on an elliptical, murmuring monologues (hey look...consonance!), and people just start clearing out :)

That is, First Folio technique-wise. So now I've got my chance, and I've just been trying to not remember too much of how I used to do this piece. I feel good so far, and it's less emotionally-loaded than my Isabella scene from earlier in the year. As good as that scene turned out to be for me, I need less vulnerability right now, especially with the nature of MF and my performance right now.

Run it!
I had a weird run this morning. I was trying to do the circuit (an abbreviated version, mind you, I don't have all day) on the Lakefront Path this morning. Just from Irving Park to a little past the under pass at Belmont. I must have hit some funny buttons because Joanie was not down with the program. So I had to revert to using "estimated" mileage (thank you, Map My Run) for part of the distance from my apartment to the Irving Park under pass. I also managed to inhale a gnat whilst trying to do my sit ups. Slightly awkward...I'm pretty sure I looked like I going to be violently ill...an Ebola episode, if you will. Well I survived, and the run ended successfully.

No double workout today or Friday, due to the show. So, if you haven't seen Margaret Fleming yet and you live in the Chicago area, I suggest you show up and offer your support. Remember, Thursdays are Pay-what-you-Can days!

4 comments:

B. Kramer said...

Heh, it's always fun to be someone else's crazy encounter for the day. I am not a headphones wearing runner and occasionally sing to myself. I have been caught in the act.

Marcy said...

What? Thursdays are Par-tay while you Can days?!? My dang kids ruin everything! LOL

Laura said...

Memorizing a monologue on the elliptical is a great idea! I ought to bring GMAT study materials with me...

Angela said...

"F*** you, welcome to my process" is what got me into grad school and Tony n' Tina's Wedding. :)