As part of this Thursday's TIART topic, we have to post our favourite quotes about running or make up our own-soon-to-be-famous quotes.
It must be your lucky day because I LOVE quotations. Good ones, though, not crappy ones. For instance, I hate this one: "To the world, you may be only one person, but to one person, you are the world." Hate it. Violently. With a passion.
But on to quotes that I do like...
"Today, someone is training when you are not. When you race her, she will win."
Not sure who said it (and if you know, I'll buy you a drink), but I have it on the wall by my alarm clock. It definitely inspires me in the mornings when I'm a little tired and cold and not ready to leave my wonderfully plush bed.
"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Paul's letter to the Philippians (4:13)
This is an important one to me as a Christian and as a runner. During those runs where I think I just cannot make it, this quote comes to mind, sometimes completely unbidden, and pushes me through.
"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" Peter Maher
I like this one because it reminds me of when I wasn't physically strong enough to run, or walk for that matter. So these days I really do try to appreciate that running makes me strong and I am strong because I run.
"Leave your old self behind" Nike
I saw this (and I know the always-inspiring-to-me Lou saw it too) towards the end of the Chicago Marathon. Nike had it on big posters going down the road and I think it was before mile 23. It really hit home on a physical and spiritual level. I have been making big changes in my life for a while now, but running brought me to a different level that I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of yet. The "old me" would have negative (not realistic, let alone positive) from the start. The "old me" would have blamed my weight for any problems en route. The "old me" would have thought that this is impossible for someone like me.
Here's to a few more for as long as I am able to run.
4 comments:
Oooh...that first quote is excellent!
I like that last one a lot!
Here's a running/racing quote straight from my mouth to your blog: "I'm the one in the back!"
Enjoy the rest and schedule change. Before long, you'll be right back into another training plan and then things will seem a bit too regimented.
Post a Comment