Thursday, June 18, 2009

Good things about Summer Running

I'd forgotten to mention this when the weather started to heat up (and then get cold and rainy again...life in the Midwest), but one thing I actually do like about running in the summer months is the return of the Shirtless Boys Running Club.

They usually appear on Saturdays during our long runs. Sometimes it's a group of guys who appear to be more of the lean, mean cross-country sort. Other times it's a group of footballers, I think. Either way, they always appear when I need a pick-me-up. In case you're wondering, this is usually when I hit turn heading to the Ohio Street Beach area. There's no shade in that area and you can see clear all the way to North Avenue Beach. And you know you've still got a few miles left to go on your long run. Those of us in the same pace group usually yell "Good morning!" to them as we pass. My pace group girls are much cuter than me, so I'm sure the dudes get a kick out of it.

Usually I only see the S.B.R.C on the weekends. However, on the rare occasion, I see a few of them during the week. Like yesterday! I had to run on my own yesterday evening, because I not feeling amazing, so when I got home, I ate a banana and drank some orange juice, and then headed out for what I hoped would be a nice negative split run. As traffic is beginning to get heavier on the path, I ran my loop North, on the Eastern side of the path, closer to the Lake. Sure enough, a whole bunch of card-carrying members of the S.B.R.C. ran by me. Twice. Yep, they lapped me. Bastards. I'll forgive them because they were so darn cute.

So here are some cute people running:

Yes, Ryan, you are a fox...

and for the dudes:


According to Ms. Ostrosky's training tips in the New York Daily News, she prefers to wear Asics and her shoe size is 12. TWELVE. I thought I had big feet...I wear a 10.5 for running shoes. I can't make too much fun of Beth though, she is a couple inches taller than me and about 20 pounds lighter. And a model. With a lot of money.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

... plus she smiles when she runs. I NEVER do that.

runner26 said...

guess there is a good thing about summer running ;)

I Run for Fun said...

Where are the pics of the SBRC? Sigh!