Monday, June 8, 2009

Morning Run: FAIL

So, being the creature of habit that I am (and slightly stressing about the amount of cookies I ate last night), I woke up when my alarm sounded at 5 AM.

I got dressed.

I checked weather.com to see what I should be wearing.

I got the Garmin.

And when I opened the door, I discovered that not only was it pouring, but there was a lot of lightening. At first, I just took Le Petit iPod off and put him back inside. Then I opened the door again and thought about it for a second.

More lightening...

Normally, running in the rain, especially a downpour, serves as a major ego boost for me. Only the truly dedicated (or certifiable) are out there. Running in the rain is like being in my own personal Fortress of Solitude. When I finish the run, I kinda feel like a bad ass, even if I'm really and truly not one.

However, as much as running has become a major part of my life, I'm not ready to die for it. Probably ever really. We call that "balance" in the real world. So, I sighed and went back inside for another hour of sleep. Of course, the rain stopped around 6 AM, but that definitely does not give me enough time to get a run in and get ready for work. I'm just going to have to log some miles in the heat this evening. Boo hiss. And Furthermore, I'm going to have to move my double workout day to Thursday, since that's the next conceivable time I'll be able to:

A) Get enough sleep Wednesday night to be able to justify getting up at 5AM

B) Have nothing to do in the evening so I can run when I get home from work

Oh cookies, how you mock me...

And congratulations to anyone who ran the Other Half in Chicago on Sunday!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy a rain run as well. Snow, too! But, you have to draw the line at lightening. Or, tornados. Or, hurricanes, earthquakes, alian attacks, and meteor showers. There HAS to be a balance.

~carpeviam

C said...

Dude, self preservation is an underrated quality. Be proud of it. I once turned back after only a mile when thunder and lightning started in pretty hardcore. Fastest run I've ever recorded to date. :)

I Run for Fun said...

I agree...you have to respect the lightning goddess. You deserve kudos for waking up and getting dressed, while it was pouring outside.

runner26 said...

i'm not a huge fan of running in the rain--esp if it's just a training run. and esp if it is lightning..

Felice Devine said...

Ugh, yeah, I would have bagged it!

Good luck on Thurs.