For those of you who don't know, and why would you, Roisin Dubh was my first-ever iPod and we had some good times together. Most of those time involve running, actually. Other times involve pretending I couldn't heard what morons and asshats were saying around me. Still other times involved me working on my French or taking my mind off a bad day. Roisin Dubh (means Black Rose, by the way) was the soundtrack to my daily life.
I was walking home with Roisin Dubh last night when she stopped making music. Instead, a whirring sound took over, punctuated by the occasional click. The screen went from black to gray and back again.
I decided to go for a run without her. Maybe the cold killed the battery? All the musical enjoyment usually supplied by Roisin Dubh on my run was instead replaced by my own laboured breathing. And then later, the high winds coming off Lake Mich. It was a good, angry run...I moved along at a fast (for me, I'd like to preface that) pace of 9:00 per mile. I also tried out my new hat and gloves. Even with the new running paraphernalia, the crappy weather, and the fast pace, I could only think of Roisin Dubh.
My mac wouldn't even recognize her when i plugged her in. I couldn't even do the dreaded "restore" to start everything again. Reluctantly, I took her to the Apple store on Michigan Avenue on my lunch break and waited anxiously to hear the news. Surely, the genius nerds could fix her! Maybe there was something I overlooked? I am, after all, technologically illiterate. Alas, it was not meant to be. IPod genius guy said that the hard drive was dead, and that they could replace it, but it would still cost around $130 and it would only have a 90 day warranty. Since I wasn't even using a quarter of the disk space available on my 60 GB iPod, and was concerned about costs (for realsies majorly), he advised me to buy a new 8 G iPod Nano. I could trade in and recycle Roisin Dubh and get a discount on the new iPod. So, I did. Sadly, I even teared up a little bit when the cashier girl took Roisin away from me.

I'm just super sad right now. I know it's just a thing that I shouldn't be so attached to anyway. And that I could live without it until I have a bit more money. But I just couldn't. And I miss Roisin Dubh.
4 comments:
Awwwwhhh that stinks. RIP little buddy!
RIP Roisin Dubh :(
Awww! I can feel your pain.
RIP best running companion ever. :(
Post a Comment