Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tales from the Gym, Part Whotheheckcares?

I had a really great run this morning! I decided on trying my hand at a tempo run for a little bit. Granted, I only had a few miles to run anyway, but running fast is hard for me! Unlike some of you speedsters who can do this sort of thing for ridiculous distances, I can only handle it for a few short miles. In this case...4 miles.

But I managed to keep a pace of 9:20! Yaaaaaaaaaaaay for me!


And then after work, I went to the gym. Did I have a Runner Boy sighting? NO! Where is he? Maybe he thought that since I hadn't been there recently, that HE wasn't going to be there either anymore? This is most distressing, but not surprising. See? Even when guys don't even know I'm interested, they still reject me. I doubt I'll even see him at the Shuffle, because of the other 30K runners out there. Odds are, he's waaaay faster than me anyway. He'll probably be in Deena Kastor's corral or something like that. Pfft.

It's a cruel, cruel world. And a cruel, cruel summer.

On the upside, Stalker Lady was there again. Doing what she does best. Stalking me, of course. I also noticed a plethora of people who get on the treadmills, and then stall for a while. I'm calling them Stallers.

What? It's late and I've had a rough day. I don't have to be creative anymore.

Anyway. These stallers grab a treadmill really fast and sort of stand there on it and stretch for a while. Then they turn the 'mill on and walk for about a minute. Then they stop and stand on the sides, maybe stare at their watch for a second, stretch their arms. Then they start walking again. Perhaps they then start jogging. But wait...then they stop again.

What's the deal?

Ah well, off to bed for me! Tomorrow will be Runner Boy Watch: Day 75.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the morning run! 4 miles or not, you picked up the pace and that says a lot.

Can we even call the Stallers, "joggers?" I mean, if they are on the treadmill for a show and they start/stop so frequently, I'm not sure they are even worthy of the "jog" term. I'm just sayin.'

C said...

Great run! Sorry to hear about the lack of RB sightings. That's just too sad. :(

And those people on the 'mills are twits. They frequent my gym too.

runner26 said...

Great job on the speedy run! Speed is relative anyway.

I don't understand certain types of gym-goers either--

Aron said...

wooo great job on the speedy run! any amount of tempo miles are not easy!

lol the stallers - i totally know what you mean. its like ok what are you doing?!?!

I Run for Fun said...

Ugh...the stallers...they're the worst kind.

I will keep my fingers crossed for a RunnerBoy sighting.