Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Running in a Winter Wondercrap

Before I go on to detail the lovely weather we're having in the Midwest, I would like to give big shout-outs to a few bloggers who truly kicked ass this weekend, Frayed Laces, RBR, and *Aron*. They all had AMAZING races this past weekend, and I for one, am inspired to hopefully take my running to the next level.

That will, however, not be happening today. I don't know if any of you out there have read the new issue of Runner's World, but in it they have an article about getting in a mid-day run, specifically for people like me stuck at a desk all day. I thought this might be a good thing to try out because until my next show is over, the only day of the week when I'll be able to get in a double workout is Thursday. Plus, that would mean two runs in the dark if I waited until I got home from work. If I ran just Tuesdays and Thursday on my lunch hour (those are my usual days for cross-training, which I do in the morning in my home), I'd be able to run in daylight. I like daylight, so this would work out well for me. I do have a bit of a problem with being sweaty for the remainder of my workday, but the article assures me that with a few products, I'll be okay to make it to the end of the day. Mostly. So anyway, I was all excited to start my new routine for the winter today when I looked out my window this morning, and the "Umbrella" song came to mind. Therefore, i decided to nix the mid-day run. While I have a teeny tiny problem with being sweaty at work, I have a major problem with being soaked to the bone.

So, perhaps I'll attempt the impossible on Thursday when the temperatures, of course, are supposed to drop back into the low 20's (as opposed to today's temperature, a balmy 38 degrees).

Last week ended up being a so-so running week. I was hammered schmammered on Thursday night, so I didn't wake up for my Friday morning run. In fact, I didn't even wake up for work. This isn't a normal occurrence so I'll chalk it up to...something. Due to the complete lack of sleep on Thursday/Friday, I opted not to run on Saturday morning and instead ran with Jen on Sunday morning. This worked out better for me in the end because Jen and I did our prescribed 7 miles at a 10:00 pace, instead of a 10:30. I call that progress! This coming Saturday, however, I will be up and ready to run with CES because it's 11 miles of fun, fun, FUN. Definitely will be running that at a 10:30 pace to be sure.

And in yummy news, our big boss just brought down a gift basket of organic fruits and organic chocolates. Heaven.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

Yeah I don't know about just making do with a baby wipe shower after a lunch time run LOL

Aron said...

ohhh thank you for the shout out :)

B. Kramer said...

Good luck getting in the cold weather runs. I tend to get your weather the next day. Good times. Don't forget to pack the whiskey.