Friday, September 26, 2008

Food Review: Chicken Scallopini with Linguine and Spinach

In my efforts to eat as well as possible, I bring you a meal I found in Runner's World online. I love pasta dishes, but due to my lack of cooking skills, and my desire to not cook at all really, I end up doing some variety of spaghetti with tomato sauce. I've recently branched out to an easy recipe that my best friend taught me, which involves lean ground turkey, spinach, and diced tomatoes.

Oh yes, and cheese.

Anyway, I was once again looking for recipes involving spinach, and I thought RW would be a good place to find those. Especially those recipes geared towards runners looking to fuel up before long runs and races. Well, wouldn't ya know but I found a recipe involving all of those things! But because it's from some chef at The Broadmoor in Colorado, I'm just going to link to it.

You can find the recipe here.

In true Me fashion, nothing went quite as planned. I didn't have any fresh herbs, I used organic tomato sauce, and I used those Perdue Pefect Portions chicken breasts...because like I said, I don't really like to cook. I also had some issues with the pan I was using to cook the chicken. It started making noises, and rather than tempt fate, I used the pot that I had cooked the pasta in to saute the garlic (again, it came out of a jar), olive oil, and spinach. It worked out just fine! And I must say, it was really delicious! I had everything you could want for pre-race fuel (or pre-long run as is my case tonight)...carbs, protein, fats, leafy greens, tomatoes, whole grains. Good times!

Here's the end result:



In other news, as I said a few posts ago, I don't want to talk politics here and I don't want to read anyone's special, and I'm sure , extremely well-researched and informed opinions. However, I must note that I'm scared shitless about the economy. I don't quite know what to do or where to put what little funds I have, but I'm scared. I don't even want to buy a Chipotle burrito right now, let alone clothes, shoes, accessories, or anything else that's not a literal "need". So this means that I may not do a half-marathon in January. I just don't think I can budget for a race somewhere farther away (options were Miami, Phoenix, and Bermuda). So it looks like I'll hold off till May, when I can do either Palos Heights again or perhaps Cleveland (since my family is there). I might run my own, private half-marathon in January.

So, on the menu for tomorrow is a short 10 miler (don't you just love the sound of that!?!) and then it's for real taper time. I promise.

3 comments:

Frayed Laces said...

Yum. I LOVE pasta, in all forms.

Aron said...

i do love the sound of "short 10 miler" such an awesome feeling :)

i think you should definitely do your own half marathon if you dont do a real one... or maybe there will be a blogger one!?

Marcy said...

Aron has a good idea! Maybe you could round up some bloggers in the area and do your own. That would be fun!