Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Pretty City



Today I started taking pictures on my run, in preparation for tomorrow's TIART. It was a little easier this time, mostly because I could stop running to take the picture, as opposed to trying to maintain balance whilst snapping a shot. I might try to take some more pictures tomorrow morning when I go out again, but I've got a few problems...

1. It's dark out now. Boo.

2. I have a standard, point-and-shoot digital camera. Therefore, what my eyes see at 5:30 AM, my camera can't necessarily pick up. Drat.

You can be the judge. Tomorrow anyway. Either way, this morning's run was perfect for picture taking. I was able to go slowly, stop, click away, and then continue running. The gnat-to-eyes/mouth/hair ratio was small this morning. Or perhaps I'm just getting better at avoiding them? It's a whole new kind of speed workout! Amazing! There were lots of weirdos out this morning, too. Sure, you have your standard Lance Armstrong wannabe's, and your blindingly-fast elites, but you also have some interesting in betweeners. Such as, Monochrome Man. I see this man every morning, and I wish I could video tape him to post it here for you to see! If you run in between 5 and 6 AM on the Lakefront path from about Belmont to the Totem Pole, you know who I'm talking about...he mostly dresses in all red and doesn't quite run. Or job really. But...it's faster than walking. He almost looks like he's dancing/tilting out of control.

Ohhhhhhhhh if only I had video capabilities and no sense of shame. I would tape him to share with all of YOU.

Last night's run was good/not good. It was good in that I was super fast (for me) and bad in that, I probably should have taken it easy yesterday. But, I was feelin' the fast and then just wanted to see if I could maintain it for a while. And I did, so go me! Tonight's group workout is a circuit run, which I love and/or hate. Just like the New Balance adverts. It's great because it combines running and functional strength training. But it sucks because 25 minutes always ends up feeling a hell of a lot longer than you anticipate. I'm usually able to make it around the circuit twice or a little more, and my goal is 3 times, but it's sooooooo hard! You really do struggle with not going out too fast, but wanting to make it around more times. Madness I tell you, madness.

38 days until the Chicago Marathon.

Still praying for good weather on Saturday.

2 comments:

Nitmos said...

I love Chicago.

Nice job with the Human Race. Can't say as I saw much human running in my area that day though. We must be party poopers.

Marcy said...

Ahhhh I love me some photos. Can't wait!