Friday, September 5, 2008

T - 11 hours until 18 Miles



I have been trying to psych myself up for this 18 miler for the entire week. You might say to yourself "what's the problem here? She's done a marathon and she has ran over 18 miles in one sitting at least three other times. This is not something new."

You know, it is almost worse this way. Truly! I know what to expect. I've been down this path (literally) before and I know every single turn. It's painfully familiar, in fact. Maybe I'll try staring at some new people this time, or perhaps engage in the irritating political discourse of my pace group. ***NOTE...that is the only mention, I PROMISE, of politics in this blog. I'm sick of this election and every op-ed piece that I read about it. Elections bring out the worst in people, as we have plenty of evidence of already. I haven't been this depressed in a while. There. Done.***

Back to the good stuff: my anxiety over 18 miles. I think I'll be okay. I hope. I realize that the 16 miler of two weeks ago was under extraordinary circumstances. The weather and my asthma (oops...forgot I still have it!) combined to make it a painful and disappointing run. So I keep telling myself that as long as the weather is good, I'm well rested and well fed, then I'll be okay. I'll have a successful run tomorrow. I hope so anyway.

At least I can look forward to breakfast at Cafe 28 afterwards.


long runs in the heat give me tunnel vision

4 comments:

Midwest said...

I'm running 18 miles tomorrow too, so let's run them together.

Lou said...

I saw you out there, and you looked good!

I thought watching the Big Shoulders Open Water swim was pretty awesome down at Ohio Street Beach. That was interesting and not political-related ;). I am SO doing Big Shoulders next year.

Marcy said...

I'm late to the game *sigh* So how did it go?

Midwest said...

Yes, how'd it go?