Friday, September 26, 2008

Star Trek was Right



I have decided to label Tuesday evening's through Thursday evening's runs as "off the radar" due to Joanie Garmin's unique ability to punk out on me when she feels it's necessary to do so. So I ran with a stop watch and that was it. All mileage was approximate.

This was probably a good thing in the end, because I should be tapering and not flipping out about my pace so much. Or my mileage. But I've become fairly dependent on Joanie and what she tells me I'm doing. So I don't understand why she does what she does! I mean, I run from the same place every damn day, so what should make Tuesday evening different from Monday morning? IT'S THE SAME LOCATION!!! Is it because it's really dark out now? Because if that's the case, I need to have a word with the Garmin people. This morning, Joanie was compliant with my requests to locate the damn satellites. What a relief!

Still, this entire string of events makes me think about Star Trek. In most episodes, you see how cool technology is and the difference it can make in people's lives for the better. But you can't trust it too much, oh no...because when you do, it betrays you. In the end, good old-fashioned human resourcefulness wins out. And Data too, but that's another story.



The audition for A Winter's Tale went well last night, but there were issues too. Namely, the fact that the Director told me she had precast the worthwhile parts. So, this isn't worth my time. I'm not saying I'm great and I'm too good for the show, but there are three other commitments that I have during this time that aren't worth giving up so I can walk on stage once as a shepherd and never be heard from again. Those things are:

1. A musician is playing during tech week that I've waited over a year to see/hear live.
2. That same weekend I'm going to Massachusetts to see my bestest friend, who I haven't seen in nearly five years.
3. I'm understudying in my company's show.

All of these things could have been rescheduled or foregone if I'd been offered Hermione, Paulina, Perdita, or even Emilia. But, gee whiz, not for Dorcas. This is all very discouraging because there's nothing else I want to audition for right now. I like classical theatre, and unfortunately, most of the theatre in Chicago is sketch comedy or intentionally weird and "shocking". Unless you're Equity and can work exclusively at Chicago Shakespeare Theatre. And still...no guarantees.

Sheesh...we'll see about more later. It's a rather frustratingly busy day at work.

6 comments:

Frayed Laces said...

Oh girl, good luck as you enter the taper. You're gonna rock it!

Marcy said...

I feel lost when Garmin acts up and just poops out LOL. I hear you!

Aron said...

so frustrating about garmin! that would drive me nuts!!

Felice Devine said...

Too bad about the audition but sounds like it's for the best with the other stuff you have going on.

Good luck with the taper!!!

A Quiet Man with a Loud Voice said...

You know what? You and I should take a trip down to Virginia next year to audition for the American Shakespeare Company. Those guys are amazing...

Angela said...

I'm understudying Paulina down here. Really excited about it.