Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Food Review: Greek Scramble

As I mentioned earlier, I was trying to figure out how to use up the spinach that I bought, so as not to have to throw any of it out. Because I'm broke as it is an it doesn't make sense to throw stuff away right now. But I also...I have to admit...am getting a little bored of spinach salads.

Using my time wisely at work today, I searched the internet for easy recipes using spinach. I emphasize "easy" because while I do like to cook nutritious things for me to eat, I don't want to spend a long time doing so. Well, I came across a recipe for "Greek scramble". While this does sound suspiciously like a drinking game and perhaps a tad racist, I was willing to give it a try.

Here it is:

6 to 8 large eggs (I used two, since this recipe yields 4 servings)
3 Tbsps minced fresh mint (didn't use this, since I didn't have any)
1 Tbsp minced flat-leaf parsley
1 Tsp minced fresh oregano (I used stuff in a jar...and it was just as good)
2 Tbsp minced scallion (I used onion flakes instead...cuz I didn't have any scallions either)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups spinach
1 cup crumbled feta (I used parmesan because...I had no feta)
1 cup diced ripe tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes (didn't used these...see above)

Break eggs into a medium sized bowl and beat with a whisk until smooth. Stir in mint, parsley, oregano, and scallion, and grind in a good amount of black pepper.
Place 10 inch skillet over medium heat. After several minutes, add the olive oil and wait about 10 seconds, then swirl to coat the pan. Turn the heat up to medium high, add spinach, and saute for two to three minutes or until the spinach has wilted and turned a deep green.
With the heat still at medium high, pour the eggs into the pan, scrambling them slowly. As the eggs begin to set, push the curds from the bottom to one side, allowing uncooked egg to flow into contact with the pan. The spinach will blend into the eggs.
When the eggs are mostly set but still slightly wet, sprinkle in the crumbled feta (Parmesan). Continue to scramble slowly, allowing the cheese to melt slightly into the eggs. After about a minute, stir in the tomatoes (or not).

Cook for just a few seconds longer, or until the eggs are done to your liking.

I was about half-way through eating them when I realized I should have taken a picture...

I think Ryan Hall would approve, don't you?

Even though I had to modify the ingredients, I think it turned out really well! It was really tasty, and I think if you know your own palate well enough, you can season the way you want. For instance, I like a lot of pepper in my food. It's a good post-run dinner too, with the protein from the eggs and the fiber in the spinach.



In related news, I had an excellent run this evening. I warmed up with a walk from my apartment to the Lakefront path. When i hit the path, I started my run, gradually warming up to a 9:15 pace for about 20 minutes. I had to stop and stretch my muscles. I then dropped my pace to a 9:30 for about 12 minutes, before moving back up to a 9:15 pace. I felt pretty good actually...not like I was sprinting at all. Could I possibly maintain this for a half marathon? It makes me thinks like I could some day. Obviously not right now, but someday perhaps :)

4 comments:

Marcy said...

That's looks pretty darn good. Wonder if my kids would eat it? LOL

Nitmos said...

Of course you could sustain that pace for a half. Practice...time...dedication...that's all you need.

B. Kramer said...

good looking chow!

Lou said...

I dump an entire box of spinach into this recipe. Like 10 ounces or something:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Chick-Pea-Curry/Detail.aspx