Sunday, August 24, 2008

Food Review: Scones a la Deena Kastor

I'll get to my food review in a moment, but I'd like to say thanks to Lou and Lindy for cheering me up yesterday. You ladies are quite amazing I must say...and inspiring. Kristen and I chatted at the wine party later that evening and we agreed that everyone had a difficult run. Leslee even added that there's something about 16 miles that really throws people off, more so than 18 miles for some reason. So I think you've got something there, Lindy! Here's hoping the 18 miles in two weeks doesn't suck quite so much.

And now to the food. I've been desiring scones for a while now...real scones, not that shit they serve at Starbucks (although I will buy them in a pinch, if I have to). Well Deena Kastor's website has a page of her favourite recipes, and one of those is for Chocolate Raspberry Scones.

Deena Kastor likes scones? I'm there!

You can find the recipe here on her website. Just click on recipes and then on the scones. She's got a few other recipes on there that I'd like to try, such as Avocado Enchiladas and Hearty Winter Chili. Hey, if they're good enough for the American women's marathon record holder, I think they'll be okay for me! I was a bit nervous about making them for a few reasons:

1. I hate cooking
2. I hate baking
3. I'm bad at cooking
4. I'm bad at baking
5. I screw this shit up all the time

So, today I went on a field trip to the Jewel and purchased the pertinent ingredients. The scones seemed fairly easy to make so far, but I wasn't sold yet. The transfer from bowl to baking sheet was a bit messy, and I'm not particularly fond of messes. However, I carried on. I may not have been able to complete 16 miles at a 10:30 pace in 80+ degree weather with 80% humidity, but I was determined to bake these damn scones!

So...here they are:



They did take longer to bake than Deena recommended (10-15 minutes but it was more like 20 minutes). I also used an entire package of Dricoll's Raspberries and a little more than a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I used Ghirardelli, but any kind will do. But they turned out pretty well I think! I didn't majorly screw this one up!



Awwwwww...poor Deena. She has a note on her website about what happened at the Olympics, it just sounds so sad. She sounds like so many of us when things go wrong on race day, desperately trying to go back through everything we did or didn't do to prepare. So, I made the scones in honor of Deena, a true champion in every sense of the word.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I love the presentation of the scones alongside the magazine! Those look delicious - I definitely want to give them a try :)

Marcy said...

Very nice! I'm the same way with cooking (I like to avoid it because I'm bad :P).

Lou said...

Just catching up on my blog reading. I've been moving for the last three days!

I'm going to go check out DK's Web site. I keep hearing she's a fabulous cook.

Ok...

I heard that once :)