Obviously, the blog title is a reference to Shakespeare. I didn't transcribe it Folio-style, because well, I don't know how to do that on blogger. If you can tell me the name of the play and the character who says it, I'll...do something nice. Because I can't actually think of anything else.
Speaking of Shakespeare, last night was one of the best classes I've ever had! Truly, it was! In fact, I'm sure that next week (the last class) will not go nearly as well. I've been working on Queen Margaret from Henry VI Part III. Great play, with a really interesting female lead, not typical of most Shakespearean villains. My goals, for this monologue, were to completely relearn it. This meant I had to do the following things:
1. Not yell
2. Relax shoulders
3. Move easily
4. Have the confidence to inspire
Wow...that last one kinda sounds like the tag-line on a motivational poster. Fascinating. So in any case, I was able to do all of those things last night. I was able to successfully apply my Alexander training to a practical situation (performing a monologue, Shakespeare in this case). I can't explain exactly what happened, but Margaret was there...I felt myself trying to inspire, trying to uplift, gaining their confidence as well as my own. Susan and Jeffrey even CLAPPED for me. Sincerely. Jeffrey remarked that my progress since he first met me was amazing. I can't even tell you how encouraging those words are to hear for an actor. Especially if that actor is me!
After that class was over, I was spent. I was supposed to attend a going-away party for a fellow blogger and member of the cult of Susan and Jeffrey, Angela. However, like I said, completely and utterly wiped out and done with the day. Even the thought of getting up to cross train today was a strain. So I went home, had a celebratory glass of Jamesons, and went to bed.
I did get up, bright and early this morning, to cross train using the NYC Ballet Workout. True story, I'm a former dancer. I guess I still dance a little, so not really former. Anyway, I love the DVD because it really focuses on flexibility and core strength in a non-yoga way. Too often, runners neglect to stretch, even adequately enough for the kind of stress they put their bodies under. I've been pretty bad about stretching properly myself, so one of my running goals this year is to get back the flexibility that I used to have when I was dancing more frequently.
One show tonight, and I'm meeting some running buddies afterwards for a few drinks, and then it's off to bed so I can get up and get my 30 minute easy run in before the day gets too out of hand. Not sure what the Friday night plans will be, but I'll keep you posted since you're all dying to know.
3 comments:
I wish I could dance (not the rump shaking, pole grinding kind :P) ohhh the perks that could come with more flexibility :P
I used to be a ballet dancer too, and I haven't gotten the NYCB workout simply because I'm afraid it'll be really beginner-level. I mean, I'm know it's not a full dance class, but if we're doing plies, I don't want to have to listen to the video go through the basics of the movement. How do you like it?
Don't worry about missing the party. I'm glad that you had a breakthrough class!!!
Post a Comment