Today's Thursday, and thus my first post for Take it and Run Thursday over at the Runner's Lounge (which is fast becoming one of my favourite places to hang out, so to speak). This Thursday's post is all about the "middle miles". You know the ones I'm talking about...they're not the easy miles, but they're not the exciting end miles when you can see your race so clearly, it's as if you've completed it already. Here's where you separate the sprinters from the true distance runners. Because for me, the drama, the perseverance, and the determination come from those miles. Even though we roll our eyes at them, those middle miles make us the runners that we will be on race day. I don't think they get enough thanks.
So I'll say it, thank you, Middle Miles, for preparing me for my race.
Having said that, there's no denying that those middle miles can be tedious and difficult, especially for those of us who run above a 10 minute mile. I'm not saying they aren't just as difficult for you speed demons clocking sub-9 minute miles, but we're out there a whole lot longer. As a 10:30 miler (and aspiring 9 minute miler), I've found precious few ways to get me through those miles. So...here they are, numbered for your reading convenience:
1. Music. I know, I know...something about destroying the community experience and whatever, but when you're by yourself on a middle miler, your playlist IS your community. When I was training last summer for the Dublin marathon with TNT, the pacers happened to not be so good, or were non-existent. And I was running an 11 minute mile, more often than not by myself. What got me to the end of my runs was the ridiculously long "Marathon Mix" that I had created on my iPod.
2. A chatty friend. I do realize that I complained about talkers in my last post, but those were annoying strangers. If you like your pace group, and like me, happen to be good friends with most of them, then hang with someone who is really good at the whole "run at a comfortable, conversational pace". I can't talk too much when I run because I'm just not coordinated enough, but some of my peeps are...so I run by, say, Kristen's side as she tells me about her week, and I am able to respond briefly.
3. Take a break. Isn't this what long runs in the middle miles are for? Going out, slowly, and practising what you'll need to do come race day. It's okay to stop to drink your water. Or just to look around and appreciate all of the cool stuff around you. That's not to say, take it easy and have a lazy run. But you're not in a race...it's a long, slow distance run, duh.
4. Markers. When all else fails, just "get me to the next light post" or "get me to the next fire hydrant". These are important miles to get in because a half-marathon or marathon is not a distance to be taken lightly, ever. And I think in the light of what has happened at the Olympics and elsewhere, there's no actual guarantee that you're going to finish. So, getting through the middle miles is really important. And sometimes, you just have to pull yourself through.
So I'm in the thick of my middle miles, with a 16 miler this weekend. I'm sure it won't be easy. I haven't run over a half-marathon distance since last October. But, barring something tragic or something I simply cannot help (like lightening...please no storms! I can take the rain, just no storms!), I know if I buckle down and focus, I can do it. And when it's all over, I'll have a nice recovery breakfast waiting for me at Flat Top!
4 comments:
Nice post, and welcome to Take It and Run Thrusdays!
I totally agree with you that the middle miles don't get enough thanks! Enjoy your 16-miler this weekend -- especially those middle miles :-)
My markers also include, "just get me back to where I can catch a bus or taxi" if I need it bad enough. :) I always have my CTA card and a credit card in my stash, just in case.
Only had to use it once, 13 miles into a 16-mile run, totally drenched in rain and the final straw having been splashed by a rogue Lake Michigan Wave on that part of the pathway east of LSD (Lakeshore Drive, people) that goes real close to the water.
People on the bus were looking at me like I was crazy, as I cried into my cell phone to dear hubby about what a loser I was because I only ran 13 miles. Funny now, depressing back then.
Yes, def music fo sho!! Move me my music, always pulls me through :-)
Post a Comment